Archive for December, 2012
If we are not going to fight for our beliefs why must we fight at all ?
Fight to win or stop wasting American lives
LYONS: Draft Of New U.S. Army Handbook Must Be Scrapped
” According to the Army’s Combined Arms Center at Ft. Leavenworth, Kan., it is our military’s ignorance and lack of empathy for Muslim and Afghan cultural norms that is the basic cause for our Afghan military partners to react violently and kill our troops.
For example, if our military personnel hear or witness an Afghan soldier sodomizing a young boy, the handbook tells U.S. service members to voice no objection, accept it or ignore it, or they could be killed. If an Afghan beats, rapes or kills a woman in the presence of a U.S. serviceman, they are not to interfere or stand up for women’s rights or else they might be killed.
What the Army is saying, in effect, is that if Afghan partners conduct violence against U.S. service personnel, it is the serviceman’s fault. This is mind-boggling. We know, according to former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen, that nine out of 10 Afghan military personnel are illiterate and cannot be counted on in combat. Endemic corruption is embedded in Afghan culture and certainly extends to their military. They cannot be trusted.
Other cultural norms our professional U.S. military must accept without reservation by our Afghan partners is desertion, drug use, thievery, dog torture and collusion with the enemy, the Taliban. Also, U.S. military members must not discuss Islam in any form. ”
- Suicide bomber targets U.S. military base in Afghanistan (panarmenian.net)
- Afghan police say a suicide bomber attacked a NATO convoy, but report no casualties in the strike – @AP (miamiherald.com)
- Bomber Attacks Near Major US Base (abcnews.go.com)
- Police say Afghan policewoman kills US adviser (news.yahoo.com)
Catch-22 – Bomb the Ocean
PJTV Pop Quiz: New Year’s Edition
” Make no mistake about it — and tell it to your Republican friends: capitalism and altruism cannot coexist in the same man or in the same society. Tell it to anyone who attempts to justify capitalism on the ground of the “public good” or the “general welfare” or “service to society” or the benefit it brings to the poor. All these things are true, but they are the by-products, the secondary consequences of capitalism — not its goal, purpose or moral justification. The moral justification of capitalism is man’s right to exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself; it is the recognition that man — every man — is an end in himself, not a means to the ends of others, not a sacrificial animal serving anyone’s need. “
Today In The Past
987 – French King Hugo Capet crowns his son Robert the compassionate king
1317 – Pontifical degree “Sancta Romania” against spiritualists
1621 – English king James I cracks Protestation of Parliament
1672 – Baron Karl Rabenhaupt occupies Coevorden Neth
1685 – Don Francisco de Agurto installed as land guardian of S Netherlands
1703 – Tokyo hit by Earthquake; about 37,000 die
1809 – Wearing masks at balls forbidden in Boston
1813 – Danzig surrenders to allied armies
1817 – 1st coffee planted in Hawaii (Kona)
1835 – After gold discovery in Ga, Cherokees forced to move across Miss R
1853 – A dinner party is held inside a life-size model of an Iguanodon created by Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins and Sir Richard Owen in south London.
1854 – Pennsylvania Rock Oil Co, 1st in US, incorporated in NYC
1861 – US, banks stops payments in gold
1873 – American Metrological Society forms (NYC) weights, measures & money
1897 – Province of Zululand annexed to Natal colony
1903 – Electric arc lamp sets fire to Iroquois theater in Chicago leaving 602 dead in one of the deadliest blazes in American history
1905 – Former Governor Frank Steunenberg is assassinated near his home in Caldwell, Idaho.
1915 – Cromarty Harbour, Scot-British cruiser Natal explodes: 405 die
1917 – -32°F (-36°C) in Mountain City, Tennessee (state record)
1917 – -37°F (-38°C) in Lewisburg, WV (state record)
1918 – John E Hoover decides to be called J Edgar Hoover
1924 – Edwin Hubble announces existence of other galactic systems
1926 – Chicago Tribune reports the Tigers threw a 4-game series to the White Sox in 1917 to help Chicago win the pennant (never substaniated)
1933 – -50°F (-46°C) in Bloomfield, Vermont (state record)
1938 – Electronic television system patented (V K Zworykin)
1940 – California’s 1st freeway, (Arroyo Seco Parkway), opens
1952 – Tuskegee Inst reports 1952 as 1st yr in 71 with no lynchings in US
1953 – The first ever NTSC color television sets go on sale for about USD at $1,175 each from RCA.
1959 – George Washington, 1st ballistic missile sub commissioned
1963 – “Let’s Make A Deal,” debuts on NBC-TV
1971 – Long Island NHL franchise purchased (NY Islanders)
1972 – Pres Nixon halts bombing of North Vietnam & announces peace talks
1979 – Rock group, Emerson, Lake & Palmer break up
1979 – Togo adopts constitution
1987 – Premier Mugabe elected president of Zimbabwe
1988 – Mercedes-Benz pays $20.2-M fine failed to meet ’86 government fuel standard
1988 – North subpoenas Reagan & Bush as defense witnesses for upcoming trial
1995 – The lowest ever United Kingdom temperature of -27.2°C was recorded at Altnaharra in the Scottish Highlands. This equalled the record set at Braemar, Aberdeenshire on February 11, 1895 and January 10, 1982.
2000 – Rizal Day Bombings: A series of bombs explode in various places in Metro Manila, Philippines within a span of a few hours, killing 22 and injuring about a hundred.
2004 – A fire in the República Cromagnon nightclub in Buenos Aires, Argentina kills 194.
2005 – Tropical Storm Zeta forms in the open Atlantic Ocean, tying the record for the latest tropical cyclone ever to form in the North Atlantic basin.
39 – Titus, 10th Roman Emperor (79-81), conqueror of Jerusalem
1204 – Abû ‘Uthmân Sa’îd Hakam al Qurashi, ruler of Minorca (d. 1282)
1552 – Simon Forman, English occultist and astrologer (d. 1611)
1644 – Philips van Almonde, Dutch Zeeuws lt-admiral
1722 – Charles Yorke, Lord Chancellor of Great Britain (d. 1770)
1818 – James Cantey, Brigadier General (Confederate Army), died in 1874
1819 – John White Geary, Bvt Major General (Union volunteers), died in 1873
1828 – Mark Perrin Lowrey, Brigadier General (Confederate Army), died in 1885
1855 – Heinrich Hart, German writer (Song of Humanity)
1867 – Simon Guggenheim, philanthropist (died aboard Titanic)
1869 – Stephen Leacock, Canada, economist/humorist/professor
1879 – Sri Ramana Maharshi, Hindu philosopher/yogi (Maharshi Research Inst)
1884 – Tojo Hideki, Japanese PM during WW II
1905 – Emmanuel Levinas, philosopher
1906 – Carol Reed, motion picture director (3rd Man)
1914 – Bert Parks, [Jacobson], Atlanta Ga, TV host (Miss America)
1917 – Seymour Melman, American industrial engineer (d. 2004)
1918 – W Eugene Smith, US photographer (Saipan, Walk to Paradise Garden)
1919 – Jo Van Fleet, Oakland, actress (Gunfight at OK Corral, East of Eden)
1928 – Jack Lord, NYC, actor (Steve McGarrett-Hawaii 5-0, God’s Little Acre)
1931 – Charles A Bassett II, Dayton Ohio, Captain USAF/astronaut
1931 – Skeeter Davis, [Mary Penick], Dry Ridge Ky, singer (End of World)
1932 – John Hillerman, Denison Tx, actor (Magnum PI, Blazing Saddles)
1934 – Barry Briggs, NZ auto maker (World Champion 1957, 58, 64, 66)
1934 – Russ Tamblyn, LA California, actor (Win Place or Steal, Twin Peaks)
1934 – John Norris Bahcall, American physicist (d. 2005)
1934 – Joseph P. Hoar, former US Central Command commander
1935 – Sandy Koufax, Dodger pitcher (Cy Young ’63, ’65, ’66, perfect-1967)
1935 – Jack Riley, American actor
1937 – Paul Stookey, singer/musician (Peter, Paul, & Mary)
1938 – Joseph Bologna, Brooklyn NY, actor (Citizen Cohn, My Favorite Year)
1939 – Del Shannon, [Charles Westover], Coopersville Mich, rocker (Runaway)
1940 – James Burrows, TV producer/director (Mary Tyler Moore Show, Cheers)
1941 – Mel Renfro, American football player
1942 – Fred Ward, SD California, actor (Chain Reaction, Thunderheart, Equinox)
1942 – Michael Nesmith, Houston, rocker (Monkees-Last Train to Clarksville)
1942 – Guy Edwards, English racing driver
1945 – Davy Jones, Manchester England, singer (Monkees-Last Train to Clarksville), (d. 2012)
1945 – John Kevin Moorhouse, test pilot
1947 – Jeff Lynne, rocker (ELO-Telephone Line, Travelling Wilburys)
1949 – Bruce Davidson, equestrian 3-day (Olympics-silver-96)
1950 – Lewis Shiner, American sci-fi/fantasy author
1951 – Nancy LaMott, singer
1953 – Daniel T Barry, Norwalk Ct, PhD/MD/astronaut (STS 72)
1953 – Meredith Vieira, American television journalist
1956 – Sheryl Lee Ralph, actress (Moesia, Designing Women)
1956 – Suzy Bogguss, Aledo Ill, singer (I Want to be a Cowboy’s Sweetheart)
1957 – Matt Lauer, TV host (Today Show)
1958 – Steven L Smith, Phoenix Arizona, astronaut (STS 68, 82)
1958 – Rod Harrington, English darts player
1959 – Tracey Ullman, Slough England, singer/actress (Tracey Ullman Show)
1960 – Addy Bucek, Australian 470 class yachter (Olympics-9-92, 96)
1961 – Ben Johnson, 100m runner (Olympic-gold-1988-disqualified)
1961 – Sue Malaxos, Australian marathoner (Olympics-96)
1961 – Ben Johnson, Canadian athlete
1962 – Henry Cho, Korean-American comedian
1964 – Kimberly Taylor, [Cindy], model/Penthouse Pet (1990)
1965 – David Baker, Sheffield England, UK cyclist
1965 – Heidi Fleiss, American madam
1967 – Colleen Miller, Winnipeg Manitoba, rower (Olympics-96)
1973 – Robert Walker, Australian rower (Olympics-96)
1975 – Tiger Woods, Cypress, California, golfer (16 Major and 74 PGA wins)
1977 – Laila Ali, American boxer
1978 – Dikla Hamdy, Miss Israel Universe (1997)
1978 – Tyrese, American singer and actor
1980 – Eliza Dushku, Boston MA, actress (This Boy’s Life, True Lies, Journey)
1980 – Kenny Kwan, Hong Kong singer
1984 – LeBron James, American basketball player
1985 – Lars Boom, Dutch cyclist
1989 – Ryan Sheckler, American professional skateboarder
274 – St Felix I, dies and ends his reign as Catholic Pope
1218 – Richard de Clare, 4th Earl of Hertford, English politician (b. 1162)
1525 – Jacob Fugger, German banker/merchant, dies at 66
1572 – Galeazzo Alessi, Italian architect (Palazza Marino, Milan), dies at 60
1640 – John Francis Regis, French saint (b. 1597)
1644 – Jan Baptist van Helmont, Flemish chemist (b. 1577)
1691 – Robert Boyle, Irish scientist (b. 1627)
1769 – Nicholas Taaffe, 6th Viscount Taaffe, Austrian soldier (b. 1685)
1893 – Samuel White Baker, English explorer, dies at 72
1894 – Amelia Jenks Bloomer, suffragist (Bloomers named for her), dies at 76
1896 – Jose Mercado Rizal, anti-Spanish rule of Philippines proponent, dies
1899 – James Paget, English surgeon (disease of Paget), dies at 85
1931 – Tyrone Power Sr, actor (Big Trial, Test of Donald Norton), dies at 62
1944 – Romain Roland, French writer/pacifist (Nobel 1915), dies at 78
1946 – Patty Smith Hill, songwriter (Happy Birthday To You), dies at 78
1947 – Han [Henricus A] van Meegeren, Dutch painter/art forger, dies at 58
1970 – Sonny Liston, World heavyweight boxing champion (1962-64), found dead at 38
1979 – Richard Rodgers, composer (Rogers & Hammerstein), dies at 77
1984 – Massa, oldest gorilla on record (b. 1930)
1992 – Ling-Ling, 1st panda China gave US, dies at 23
1993 – Mack David, US songwriter (Bachelor in Paradise), dies at 81
1993 – [Irving Paul] “Swifty” Lazar, superagent, dies of kidney failure at 86
1996 – Jack Nance, actor (Meatballs 4, Whore, Voodoo), murdered at 53
1998 – Johnny Moore, American singer (The Drifters) (b. 1934)
1999 – Sarah Knauss, American, once considered the world’s oldest living person (b. 1880)
2000 – Julius J. Epstein, American screenwriter (b. 1909)
2003 – John Gregory Dunne, American writer (b. 1932)
2005 – Rona Jaffe, American author (b. 1932)
2006 – Deposed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein is hanged in Baghdad at 69
2006 – Terry Peck, Falkland Islander (b. 1938) who acted as a scout for 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment in the Falklands War
2009 – Rowland S. Howard, Australian guitarist (The Birthday Party) (b. 1959)
2010 – Bobby Farrell, Aruban singer (Boney M) (b. 1949)
Unknown WWII In Color
” The 62-year-old convicted felon who gunned down two firefighters and wounded three first responders on Christmas Eve in Webster, New York used weapons his neighbor illegally purchased for him, according to state and federal authorities.
The neighbor, 24-year-old Dawn Nguyen, was arrested on Friday after police traced the serial numbers on two weapons used by William Spengler, the shooter: a Bushmaster AR-15 semiautomatic rifle and a 12-gauge shotgun, both purchased in 2010.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives allowed straw purchasers to illegally purchase approximately 2,000 firearms as and transport them across the United States’ southern border as part of Operation Fast and Furious, in an apparent attempt to track the guns to high-level officials in Mexico’s drug cartels.
None of those top officials has been arrested, and the operation has led to the deaths of an estimated 300 Mexican nationals and at least one U.S. Border Patrol agent. (RELATED: Univision report connects Operation Fast and Furious scandal to murders of Mexican teenagers) “
” An Oklahoma local of the Teamsters Union is disputing recess appointments to the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), charging that recess appointments were made while the U.S. Senate was not in recess, according to legal documents obtained by The Daily Caller.
“The union disputes that the board is properly and sufficiently constituted, as ‘recess’ appointments (to NLRB) were made when there was no recess,” according to a Dec. 12, 2012 affidavit signed by Teamsters Local 523 President Gary Ketchum. “
Note That This Involves Recess Appointments Made By The Previous Occupant Of The Oval Office . This All Predates Obama And His Recess Appointments But It Is Instructive All The Same As It Highlights A Little Known Fact Of Union Life …. Seniority
“The guy worked at a company that did not have a collective bargaining agreement. This company was bought by a union company, and he didn’t want to belong to the union,” Ketchum told TheDC.
As part of the merger, Rammage was placed at the bottom of the seniority list for the merged unit, while other Dolly Madison employees previously represented by Teamsters Local 523 were placed higher than Rammage on the seniority list.
Interstate Bakeries told Rammage that he lost his seniority because he was not represented by a union.
“All of a sudden he wants to be dovetailed in?” Ketchum told TheDC. “That’s what they’re trying to force now. They’re trying to say that his seniority should be pushed up based on his time with the company ( well DUH ) , ahead of those who were union workers. That’s wrong. His seniority should start back at the bottom.”
Due to his low seniority, Rammage was transferred from his Ponca City facility to a different facility approximately 70 miles from his home, forcing him to move. ”
Definition Of Seniority , Courtesy Of Webster’s New World College Dictionary
(sēn yôr′ə tē, -yär′-)
noun pl. seniorities
the state or quality of being senior; precedence in birth, rank, etc.
status, priority, or precedence achieved by length of service, as in a given job
This puts the Obama administration in an awkward spot . Who’s recess appointments are valid and who’s are not ? Why or why not ? Side with Bush or side with the unions ? Or , and this really isn’t an option in the Obama playbook , admit that both could be wrong ?
- Seventh Circuit Sidesteps Challenge to NLRB Recess Appointment (volokh.com)
- D.C. Circuit recess appointment case challenging NLRB has implications for CFPB (pubcit.typepad.com)
- Federal Judges Question NLRB Recess Appointments (freebeacon.com)
- Obama Recess Appointments Face First Appeals Court Test (bloomberg.com)
- Challenge to NLRB Recess Appointments (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- Court casts doubt on Obama’s recess appointments (washingtontimes.com)
- Is A Recess Appointment Valid If The Senate Says It’s Not Really Gone? (wnyc.org)
- National Pro-Labor Relations Board (freebeacon.com)
” It’s not the first time the Journal News had published names of gun permit holders. They also did so in 2006. A handful of other papers around the country have done this in recent years, as well. News network CNN interviewed The Poynter Institute, a school for journalists, about the story.
“Publishing gun owners’ names makes them targets for theft or public ridicule. It is journalistic arrogance to abuse public record privilege, just as it is to air 911 calls for no reason or to publish the home addresses of police or judges without cause,” Al Tompkins, a Poynter senior faculty member, said in a statement. “Unwarranted publishing of the names of permitted owners just encourages gun owners to skip the permitting.”
A statement was made on the Journal News’ Facebook page from Publisher Janet Hasson defending the action.
Hasson said, “Frequently, the work of journalists is not popular. One of our roles is to report publicly available information on timely issues, even when unpopular. We knew publication of the database (as well as the accompanying article providing context) would be controversial, but we felt sharing information about gun permits in our area was important in the aftermath of the Newtown shootings.” ”
Reporter who penned the story:
Dwight R. Worley, 23006 139 Ave
Springfield Gardens, NY 11413
Visual editor who made the interactive map:
Robert F. Rodriguez
420 Riverside Dr, Apt 7A
New York, NY 10025-7748
- Poynter Journalism Scholars Criticize Paper for Publishing Gun Owners’ Addresses (pjmedia.com)
- Journalists’ Addresses Posted In Revenge For Newspaper’s Google Map Of Gun Permit Owners (techcrunch.com)
- Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders (fox6now.com)
- Blogger publishes names, addresses of newspaper staff who made map of gun permit owners (foxnews.com)
- After newspaper’s gun-permit map, blogger posts journalists’ addresses (cnn.com)
- Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders (cbsnews.com)
” The largest and most detailed survey into hospital deaths has revealed that almost 12,000 patients are needlessly dying every year as a result of poor patient care.
The researchers from The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine based the study on 1,000 deaths at 10 NHS trusts during 2009. The study revealed that basic errors were made in more than one in 10 cases, leading to 5.2% of deaths, which was the equivalent of nearly 12,000 preventable deaths in hospitals in England every year.
The research published in the British Medical Journal’s Quality and Safety publication found that errors occurred when hospital staff made an incorrect diagnosis, prescribed the wrong drugs, failed to monitor a patient’s condition or react when a patient deteriorated. Errors in omission were more frequent than active mistakes.
The majority of patients who died were elderly suffering with multiple health conditions, but the study found that some patients whose deaths were preventable were aged in their 30s and 40s.”
- Socialist British Healthcare Kills 12,000 Patients Per Year (sfcmac.wordpress.com)
- Hospital apologises to 38 families for appalling care that saw a patient starve to death – Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk)
- Dental drill falls into patient’s lung (upi.com)
” Please share this information on your FaceBook page in the hope that other folks in the “I support the 2nd Amendment, but don’t want people to have AR15 rifles” crowd get a better real understanding of the issues at stake.
If we don’t get these folks involved and on our side, the 2nd Amendment will eventually be completely eroded. There is so much misinformation put out there by the gun-grabbers and then repeated by the media. Let’s take a moment to clear up some of that misinformation.
1) Civilian AR-15 rifles are NOT the same automatic weapons the Military has. The military has fully automatic weapons. Civilian AR-15s in production today do NOT. They shoot one shot per trigger pull, just like a semi auto hunting rifle. I know often the when the media makes commentary they show B-roll video in the background of a machine gun shooting and spraying, but that is not how civilian AR-15 rifles operate.
2) Civilian AR-15 rifles (or similar) has the same type of internals as your semi auto deer rifle. Civilian type “assault” rifles function the exact same way as deer hunting rifles. They just look different.
3) Even the term “assault” rifle is gun grabber sensationalism parroted by the media. “Assault” weapons are fully automatic (select fire), and they have been heavily regulated since the 1930s, and civilian manufacturer has been completely outlawed almost 30 years ago!!
4) ”AK-47s” have already been banned from manufacture from civilians, also almost 30 years ago. Again the civilian look-a-like rifles have the same type of semi auto internals as your hunting rifle. Different cosmetics, same type of mechanics.
5) An AR15 (or similar) is NOT a “high powered rifle”. I guess it depends on what you want to categorize as “high power”, but these rifles shoot some of the smallest rifle cartridges in the market. Deer rifles are a LOT more powerful than any of these rifles. And soon the gun-grabbing crowd will recategorize your deer rifle as a “high powered sniper rifle”. That is how this political movement works.
6) A hunting shotgun is a LOT more lethal in these close quarter mass killings of unarmed innocent people than any semi auto rifle. Anyone with extensive firearms training and experience will confirm that.
The politicians know these new laws will NOT stop these types of mass killings. They even admit it! But they want to pass them anyway because it serves their greater mission of effectively neutering the second amendment. The leaders in this movement actually DON’T WANT these laws to work (even if they would) because when they are shown ineffective, they now have the political momentum to pass more ineffective laws, and grab more guns.
This is all part of a broader gun grab, done slowly, in increments, over time, until the Second Amendment is just a bunch of meaningless outdated words on an old piece of parchment.
When a sociopath chooses that shotgun or hunting rifle in the next horrific event, you are the legislature’s next target.
The philosophy of “We need to pass more laws to stop sociopathic criminals from breaking our laws” is effective because most Americans are not really paying attention to these details. (Please read that line twice) Please help to educate the public with this information.
Also it should be noted, the 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting, fishing, competitive shooting, “sporting purposes”, racquet ball, swimming, camping, etc. The 2nd Amendment (and the entire Bill of Rights) is to preserve a balance of power between the citizens and their government. ”
- Regarding Gun Control: What is an “Assault Rife?” (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Gun Myths Busted (lewrockwell.com)
- The top five buzz words that I’m sick of hearing in the gun control debate… (thesurvivalistblog.net)
- Assault weapon owners cite diverse reasons for owning the guns (rapidcityjournal.com)
- A closer look at firearms popular in Wichita and Kansas (kansas.com)
- Why would someone own a military-style rifle? (myfox8.com)
CynDee Royal Editor Janet Hassan Publisher
Dwight Worley Reporter
” Apparently undeterred by retaliation from a pro-Second Amendment blogger, the editorial staff at Gannett’s “Journal News” is at it again.
After creating an uproar for publishing the names and addresses of gun owners in New York’s Westchester and Rockland counties, “Journal News” announced it would release and publish thenames and addresses of permit holders in Putnam County, according to Reuters.
“Further names and addresses will be added as they become available to a map originally published on December 24 in the White Plains, New York-based Journal News,” the report notes.
The map was included in an article entitled “The gun owner next door: What you don’t know about the weapons in your neighborhood,” that was released shortly after a shooting spree in Newtown, Conn., claimed 26 lives, including 20 children. “
- HEH: Rockland County Times: What You Don’t Know About the Agenda-Driven Journalists in Your Neig… (pjmedia.com)
- Hey, Janet Hasson, Cyndee Royle and Nancy Cutler, Its Payback Time (jumblerant.blogspot.com)
- General Conspiracies – Re: Newspaper Publishes Gun Owners’ Names and Addresses (disclose.tv)
- US newspaper’s gun permit map draws criticism (aljazeera.com)
- Ball scolds Journal News for posting permit data (timesunion.com)
- New York website under fire for posting interactive map of gun permit holders (calgaryherald.com)
- Newspaper publishes gun owners’ names and addresses (news.yahoo.com)
” South Carolina Sen. Lee Bright (R-Spartanburg) has reintroduced a bill that would exempt any firearm, accessory or ammunition manufactured and kept within the borders of the Palmetto State from federal regulations.
Invoking states rights under the 9th and 10th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, Bright’s legislation – known as the ‘South Carolina Firearms Freedom Act’ – states:
“A personal firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in South Carolina and that remains within the borders of South Carolina is not subject to federal law or federal regulation, including registration, under the authority of Congress to regulate interstate commerce.”
” The ‘Firearms Freedom Act’ movement has its origins in Montana, where a gun maker by the name of Gary Marbut got sick and tired of the federal government’s overreach with respect to his business. After closely examining the Constitution, in particular the commerce clause, Marbut conceived the Firearms Freedom Act in 2009. ”
- Will South Carolina Nullify Federal Gun Laws? (chasvoice.blogspot.com)
- Bill Would Exempt SC Made Guns From Federal Rules (charlotte.cbslocal.com)
- SC Senator Lee Bright Introduces Legislation To Nullify Federal Gun Laws | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Will South Carolina Nullify Federal Gun Laws? (tenthamendmentcenter.com)
- Bill would exempt guns, ammo made in SC from federal regulations (chronicle.augusta.com)
- BATFE Taking Comments on a Pending Ban Ammo (ammoland.com)
” Now that Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor has denied Hobby Lobby’s application for an emergency injunction protecting them from Obamacare’s HHS Mandate on abortion and birth control, Hobby Lobby has decided to defy the federal government to remain true to their religious beliefs, at enormous risk and financial cost.
Hobby Lobby is wholly owned and controlled by the Green family, who are evangelical Christians. The Greens are committed to running their business in accordance with their Christian faith, believing that God wants them to conduct their professional business in accordance with the family’s understanding of the Bible. Hobby Lobby’s mission statement includes, “Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company … consistent with Biblical principles.”
The HHS Mandate goes into effect for Hobby Lobby on Jan. 1, 2013. The Greens correctly understand that some of the drugs the HHS Mandate requires them to cover at no cost in their healthcare plans cause abortions.
Today Hobby Lobby announced that they will not comply with this mandate to become complicit in abortion, which the Greens believe ends an innocent human life. Given Hobby Lobby’s size (it has 572 stores employing more than 13,000 people), by violating the HHS Mandate, it will be subject to over $1.3 million in fines per day. That means over $40 million in fines in January alone. If their case takes another ten months to get before the Supreme Court—which would be the earliest it could get there under the normal order of business—the company would incur almost a half-billion dollars in fines. And then of course the Supreme Court would have to write an opinion in what would likely be a split decision with dissenters, which could easily take four or six months and include hundreds of millions of dollars in additional penalties. ”
” FOX NEWS: To provide all Americans with health insurance, premiums will have to rise to pay for it, Aetna CEO Mark Bertolini told CNBC’s “Closing Bell” on Wednesday. “If we’re going to insure all Americans, which is a worthy and appropriate cause, then somebody has to pay for it,” Bertolini said of the expected premium increases under Obamacare. Bertolini said that insurance premiums could double in some places just on the basis of what types of policies people buy today. He also said that when Obamacare is fully implemented, it won’t start the way people had hoped and it won’t be cheaper. ”
- Judge says Obamacare means Hobby Lobby must offer morning-after contraceptives (bizjournals.com)
- Hobby Lobby stands up to Obama (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Hobby Lobby: We Intend to Defy ObamaCare (newser.com)
- Hobby Lobby First Business to Openly Defy Obamacare Mandate (godfatherpolitics.com)
- In 2011, an estimated 1,203,564 violent crimes occurred nationwide, a decrease of 3.8 percent from the 2010 estimate.
- When considering 5- and 10-year trends, the 2011 estimated violent crime total was 15.4 percent below the 2007 level and 15.5 percent below the 2002 level.
- There were an estimated 386.3 violent crimes per 100,000 inhabitants in 2011.
- Aggravated assaults accounted for the highest number of violent crimes reported to law enforcement at 62.4 percent. Robbery comprised 29.4 percent of violent crimes, forcible rape accounted for 6.9 percent, and murder accounted for 1.2 percent of estimated violent crimes in 2011.
- Information collected regarding type of weapon showed that firearms were used in 67.7 percent of the nation’s murders, 41.3 percent of robberies, and 21.2 percent of aggravated assaults. (Weapons data are not collected for forcible rape.) (SeeExpanded Homicide Data Table 7, Robbery Table 3, and the Aggravated Assault Table.)
Explain The Need For Ever More Stringent ” Crime Prevention ” Laws .
- FBI 2011 Crime Stats: Violent Crime Drops 3.8% (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- U.S. violent crime down for fifth straight year (cnn.com)
- FBI: Crime reported to police fell last year (bostonherald.com)
- Violent crime drops in most O.C. cities (ocregister.com)
- FBI releases 2011 crime statistics that show drop in violent crime nationally (oregonlive.com)
- Stop The Violence: The FBI Releases An UPDATED List Of America’s Top 20 Most Dangerous Cities In 2012!!! (bossip.com)
” Reaction to threats by Senator Dianne Feinstein and others to ban certain weapons and serverely restrict ownership of guns generally has caused a run on gun stores, as is widely reported.
Less reported is the run on ammunition, leaving ammunition inventories down 93% since election day.
So reports Traction Control blog, Plunge! Ammunition Levels Less Than 10% of Pre-Election Levels:
Ammunition Stock levels have fallen by more than 90% from the pre-Election Day levels. Less than 10% remains available. Available Ammunition links will be updated throughout the day.
Handguns are down by 80%, Long Guns by 63% for an overall 72.2% reduction in firearms inventories.
AR pattern rifles are becoming particularly difficult to source.”
- Feinstein legislation is the Obamacare of gun control (legalinsurrection.com)
- Democrats Seek the Holy Grail of Gun Control (powerlineblog.com)
- Feinstein unveils sweeping gun-control agenda (wnd.com)
- ALERT: Legislation Details: Senate to Ban Hundreds of Semiautomatic Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Magazines (thedailysheeple.com)
- Ammo sellers blow through 3 years of magazines & Ammo in 72 hours (raptureimminent.wordpress.com)
- A Marine responds to Dianne Feinstein’s gun ban (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Petition: Try Dianne Feinstein For Treason (sgtreport.com)
- Feinstein and Fellow Gun-Grabbers Are Going For Broke (sgtreport.com)
- Details of Dianne Feinstein’s Upcoming Assault Weapons Ban Proposal Begin Leaking (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- A bill to ban deadly ‘devises’? Sen. Feinstein is on it! (twitchy.com)
” New York state has spent nearly $6 million over the past three years on subsidies for Remington Arms Co., the two-century-old factory in Ilion that makes firearms including semiautomatic rifles used by the military and police and like those used in the recent mass killings in Connecticut and Webster, N.Y.
A message for my gun-hating fellow New York taxpayers: This is just another example of how big government will always offend your values. Hate baseball, or the Yankees in particular? Too bad, you’re paying for ’em. Can’t stand junk food? You’re subsidizing the stuff, from producer to consumer. The more government takes, redistributes, regulates, and insures, the more you are footing the bill for behaviors, industries, and practices you abhor. A first step toward protecting your bruised values is to stop supporting the use of tax dollars to “save jobs.” ”
- OMG! Tax Breaks! Tax Breaks to Bushmaster! OMG! (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- NY has pumped money into semiautomatic-rifle plant (sfgate.com)
- You: Gunmakers’ town in crisis after shootings (guardian.co.uk)
Open Season On Christians As Police Stand By And Do Nothing
Fined $535 For Nursing A Woodpecker Back To Health
” This is, declared NYU professor Jay Rosen, “the dumbest media story of 2012.” Why? Because, as CNN’s Howard Kurtz breezily put it, everybody knows David Gregory wasn’t “planning to commit any crimes.”
Free As A Bird After Breaking DC “High Capacity” Magazine Ban
So what? Neither are the overwhelming majority of his fellow high-capacity-magazine-owning Americans. Yet they’re expected to know, as they drive around visiting friends and family over Christmas, the various and contradictory gun laws in different jurisdictions. “Ignorantia juris non excusat” is one of the oldest concepts in civilized society: ignorance of the law is no excuse. Back when there was a modest and proportionate number of laws, that was just about do-able. But in today’s America there are laws against everything, and any one of us at any time is unknowingly in breach of dozens of them. And, in this case, NBC was informed by the D.C. police that it would be illegal to show the thing on TV, and they went ahead and did it, anyway: You’ll never take me alive, copper! You’ll have to pry my high-capacity magazine from my cold dead fingers! When the D.C. SWAT team, the FBI and the ATF take out NBC News, and the whole building goes up in one almighty fireball, David Gregory will be the crazed loon up on the roof like Jimmy Cagney in “White Heat”: “Made it, Ma! Top of the world!” At last, some actual must-see TV on that lousy network.
$50,000 Bail For Wearing A $20 Punker’s Ammo Belt
To Howard Kurtz & Co, it’s “obvious” that Gregory didn’t intend to commit a crime. But, in a land choked with laws, “obviousness” is one of the first casualties – and “obviously” innocent citizens have their “obviously” well-intentioned actions criminalized every minute of the day. Not far away from David Gregory, across the Virginia border, 11-year-old Schylar Capo made the mistake of rescuing a woodpecker from the jaws of a cat and nursing him back to health for a couple of days. For her pains, a federal Fish & Wildlife gauleiter accompanied by state troopers descended on her house, charged her with illegal transportation of a protected species, issued her a $535 fine, and made her cry. Why is it so “obvious” that David Gregory deserves to be treated more leniently than a sixth-grader? Because he’s got a TV show, and she hasn’t?
The Offending Fashion-Ware
Three days after scofflaw Gregory committed his crime, a bail hearing was held in Massachusetts for Andrew Despres, 20, who’s charged with trespassing and possession of ammunition without a firearms license. Mr. Despres was recently expelled from Fitchburg State University and was returning to campus to pick up his stuff. Hence the trespassing charge. At the time of his arrest, he was wearing a “military-style ammunition belt.” Hence, the firearms charge.
His mom told WBZ that her son purchased the belt for $20 from a punk website and had worn it to class every day for two years as a “fashion statement.” He had no gun with which to fire the bullets. Nevertheless, Fitchburg Police proudly displayed the $20 punk-website ammo belt as if they’d just raided the Fitchburg mafia’s armory, and an obliging judge ordered Mr. Despres held on $50,000 bail. Why should there be one law for “Meet The Press” and another for “Meet Andrew Despres”? Because David Gregory throws better cocktail parties? ”
Where Exactly Are We Living ? USSR ? PRC ?
- David Gregory’s Motives Are Pure! (nationalreview.com)
- Father of former Fitchburg State student accused in ammo case criticizes authorities (boston.com)
- David Gregory Meet James O’Keefe (nationalreview.com)
- LAW, JOURNALISM, AND DOUBLE STANDARDS: David Gregory, Meet James O’Keefe. Howard Kurtz dismisses… (pjmedia.com)
- I WAS GOING TO WRITE SOMETHING MORE ABOUT DAVID GREGORY AND HIS MEDIA DEFENDERS LIKE HOWARD KURTZ, b… (pjmedia.com)
- Above the Law? Howard Kurtz Scolds D.C. Police for Investigating NBC’s David Gregory (newsbusters.org)