” The attached article seeks to provide cover for those who would happily do away with the rule of law in this country. That the idea that trashing the Constitution, probably the greatest document of human liberation there has ever been, is given prime ink in the Times is no joke. We should be paying very close attention.
(From The New York Times)
AS the nation teeters at the edge of fiscal chaos, observers are reaching the conclusion that the American system of government is broken. But almost no one blames the culprit: our insistence on obedience to the Constitution, with all its archaic, idiosyncratic and downright evil provisions.
Consider, for example, the assertion by the Senate minority leader last week that the House could not take up a plan by Senate Democrats to extend tax cuts on households making $250,000 or less because the Constitution requires that revenue measures originate in the lower chamber. Why should anyone care?
We should care because the Constitution was written to make things difficult to get done. That’s the point. It seeks to restrict government fundamentally and that is why people like professor Seidman are for throwing it into the dustbin of history. They want the shackles (such as they remain at all) off. They want the state to be able to do whatever the state wants to do, whenever it wants to do it. “
- Seidman: “Let’s Give Up on [Parts of] the Constitution” (volokh.com)
- Professor scrap downright evil Constitution (educationviews.org)
- A Liberal Comes Clean: We Hate the Constitution (powerlineblog.com)
- Extra-constitutional power is what they’ve always wanted (legalinsurrection.com)
- New York Times Op/Ed Decries Constitution (nationalreview.com)
- Let’s Give Up on the Constitution (realclearpolitics.com)
- Constitutional law professor wants to abandon the Constitution (lunaticoutpost.com)
- The Muddled Thinking of a New York Times Intellectual (tenthamendmentcenter.com)
- Our flawed constitution (arunwithaview.wordpress.com)
- NY Times Opinion Writer: ‘Give Up’ On The ‘Archaic, Idiosyncratic’ And ‘Evil’ Constitution (mediaite.com)