Senate Report on Benghazi: Plenty of Blame to Go Around Since No One’s Being Held Responsible Anyway
” As noted on Reason 24/7 earlier today, the Senate Homeland Security Committee has released a report on failures surrounding the terrorist attack in Benghazi on September 11th. The committee concluded that although there may not have been specific warnings about the 9/11 attack in Benghazi, there were plenty of warning signs. Intelligence reports available to the committee (but classified, of course) “provide a clear and vivid picture of a rapidly deteriorating threat environment in eastern Libya–one that we believe should have been sufficient to inform policymakers of the growing danger to U.S. facilities and personnel in that part of the country and the urgency of them doing something about it.” “
Nobody’s At Fault … Surprise , Surprise … If There Is One Certainty In DC It’s That Our “Betters” Will Always Engage In CYA , And CYA Policy Seems To Be The One True Bipartisan Sentiment In Washington .
Then We Have The Old Stand-By Excuse Of Government Policy Failure … Ta Dah … NOT ENOUGH MONEY !!!
” The committee veers into questions of funding, pointing out that Congress did not give the President what he wanted for the diplomatic security budget. (Or, as the committee found, “Congress’ inability to appropriate funds in a timely manner has also had consequences for the implementation of security upgrades”)
Not Enough Funding , Yet …
” The funding would have been irrelevant anyway, as the committee’s very next finding was that “[t]he Department of State did not adequately support security requests from its own security personnel in Benghazi.” Further, the committee finds that the Benghazi facility’s “temporary status also made it difficult to procure funds for security upgrades” from within the State Department itself. The State Department, in fact, relied on the February 17 Brigades (a local militia) and “unarmed Libyan guards” from a private security contractor in Benghazi, as officials were aware of the Libyan government’s inability to meet its treaty obligations of securing diplomatic facilities.”
So Goes Yet Another Meaningless Attempt At Self-Policing , At God Knows What Cost To The Taxpayer That , As Usual Amounts To A Public Snowjob . We’re So Thankful For This ” Most , Honest , Open and Transparent ” Administration . Just Imagine How Sordid DC Would Be If A Republican Were In The White House .
- Senate report faults State Department, intelligence on Benghazi (scooprocket.com)
- Senate report hits State Department on Benghazi attack (washingtontimes.com)
- Report blames poor security, inadequate response in Benghazi attack (cnn.com)
- Latest Senate committee report on Benghazi terrorist attack faults State Department (foxnews.com)
- Report blames poor security, inadequate response in Benghazi attack (security.blogs.cnn.com)
- The Buck Stops With No One: Cover-Up: Benghazi Review Board Says Nobody Should Be Held Responsible (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- reuters: The State Department made a “grievous mistake” in… (shortformblog.com)
- New Senate report faults State Department, widens blame over Benghazi (tv.msnbc.com)