” Law enforcement officials from a New York region where a local paper published a map identifying gun owners say prisoners are using the information to intimidate guards.
Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco, who spoke at a news conference flanked by other county officials, said the Journal News’ decision to post an online map of names and addresses of handgun owners Dec. 23 has put law enforcement officers in danger.
“They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live. That’s not acceptable to me,” Falco said, according to Newsday.
Robert Riley, an officer with the White Plains Police Department and president of its Patrolman’s Benevolent Association, agreed.
“You have guys who work in New York City who live up here. Now their names and addresses are out there, too,” he said adding that there are 8,000 active and retired NYPD officers currently living in Rockland County ”
- Prison Inmates Using Recently Published Pistol Permit Map to Intimidate Guards (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- Journal News Puts New York’s Finest In Danger (stevengoddard.wordpress.com)
- Prisoners use newspaper’s gun owner map to threaten guards, sheriff says (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Rockland County Sheriff: Keep gun permits from media (washingtonpost.com)
- JOURNALISM: Inmates using newspaper’s gun owner map to threaten guards, sheriff says. “Law enforce… (pjmedia.com)
- What Is It About Guns That Makes People Crazy? (powerlineblog.com)
- New York newspaper hired armed guards after publishing names, addresses of area gun owners (al.com)
- Hypocrisy: Newspaper Hires Armed Guards After Publishing Gun Owners Addresses (freedomoutpost.com)
- Newspaper hires armed guards to watch editorial headquarters (blacklistednews.com)