” Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is best known as a man of profound peace, who applied Gandhi’s teachings ofnon-violent direct action to the plight of oppressed blacks in America, of course setting the stage for the Civil Rights movement. It then may come as a surprise to some that the Reverend King, in keeping in line with Gandhi, believed strongly in the human right to self-defense and had even applied for a handgun carry permit after his house had been bombed to defend his family from the bigoted minds of that era. He was denied.
Most people think King would be the last person to own a gun. Yet in the 1956, as the civil rights movement heated up, King turned to firearms for self-protection and he even applied for a permit to carry a concealed weapon.”
- ‘We must learn from Martin Luther King and Gandhi’ (thehindu.com)
- Surprising Things You Didn’t Know About Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (prn.fm)
- Dr. King & Guns (aphilosopher.wordpress.com)
- Happy Birthday To Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.! (newsone.com)
- Southern Baptists and Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. (gregoryccochran.com)