We find this current fixation on ” gun murders ” as opposed to ALL murders to be a sad commentary on the state of public debate which , as we know , is driven by a statist-media agenda . It is demeaning to all of us and especially to the multitude of victims killed by other means .
We speak from personal experience when we say that focussing on the means instead of the end is a political mechanism geared to disarming us both literally and figuratively . A life taken is a life gone regardless of the method employed .
Full Disclosure : Editor’s first wife was strangled with her own purse strap while attempting to resist a rapist . Are we to believe that her life and loss of same is somehow less significant than the gangster thug shot down on a street corner in retaliation for a drug deal gone bad ?
Barack Obama is under pressure to tighten gun laws after following the disclosure by police that the Newtown gunman used a semi-automatic assault rifle equipped with “numerous” high-capacity magazines holding hundreds of bullets to carry out his massacre of young children.
And the murder figures themselves are astounding for Brits used to around 550 murders per year. In 2011 – the latest year for which detailed statistics are available – there were 12,664 murders in the US. Of those, 8,583 were caused by firearms.
The FBI crime statistics are based on reports to FBI bureau and local law enforcement. The figures are not complete – there are no stats for Florida or Alabama on firearm murders. But even so it provides a detailed picture of attacks by state. “
Please excuse the brief rant above . While we do not care for this tactic of isolating one type of killing over another because it has proven useful to the statist agenda , we did find this map of interest and are sure that the liberty loving statistician types among our readers might make good use of the map and the other data at the link . Forgive us for getting personal for a moment …
- Pulling Back The Left’s Demonizing Of The Modern Musket: Real Numbers Of Violent Crime In The US (givemeliberty01.com)
- The gun grabbers of January (triblive.com)
- GOA’s Larry Pratt Was Right: British Gun Crime Stats Are A ‘Sham’ (infiniteunknown.net)
- Firearm Homicides Dropping. Assault Weapons Ban Not Correlated With Decrease In Homicides. No Need For New Restrictions. (wmbriggs.com)
- Our Lesson Again Boys And Girls ? It’s Not About Guns , It’s About Control (youviewed.com)
- ‘Assault’ rifles are not involved in many U.S. murders: A look at the data (blogs.marketwatch.com)
- CHARTS: See Which States Have The Most Of Gun Crimes (businessinsider.com)
- Heartland Institute Experts React to President Obama’s Gun Control Proposals (prweb.com)
- The Danger of Guns, Put in Perspective (qctpp.org)