The Beeb Carves Up A Classic … Forty Years Later
” In what all real Anglophiles would call an act of barbarity, the classic Fawlty Towers episode The Germans has had scenes cut for “racist” language. This is the same network that tolerated Jimmy Saville groping kids on air for 30 years.
And yet in an act which many will see as political correctness gone mad, if not actual cultural vandalism, the venerable BBC has censored a scene in which racist language is used.In the scene, a hotel regular, the elderly Major Gowen (Ballard Berkeley), relates a conversation in which he corrected someone for using a particular racist slur, by suggesting they use another, equally racist, slur.
The Offending Scene :
” The very mild racist slurs on Fawlty Towers, in fact, were common usage in those days. They were also quite mild compared to Alf Garnett and others. Modern PC, which includes invaluable forms of English expressions to avoid offending terrorists, paedophiles and insane financiers apparently couldn’t stomach real language usage.
The Germans was and still is one of the most popular of all the Fawlty Towers episodes, and the third search on YouTube when you enter “Fawlty”. Cleese is at his absolute best here. This is the Fawlty Towers meets Monty Python mode, with excellent script work and very sharp, second by second dialogue that nobody can match today.”
And Here Is The Final Scene That Just Happens To Be One Of The Funniest Episodes Of The Funniest TV Show Ever Made …
Not Exactly The Most Important News Of The Day But We Cannot Pass Up Any Opportunity To Watch Or Post About Our All-Time Favorite Television Show . Start Your Day With A Laugh . We Did .
- BBC Accused of ‘Airbrushing History’ in Fawlty Towers (contactmusic.com)
- ‘You started it,’ he screeches. ‘Yes you did . . . you invaded Poland!’ BBC censors Fawlty Towers (warhistoryonline.com)
- Fawlty Towers isn’t racist. Major Gowen is (guardian.co.uk)
- Fawlty Towers gets the chop at BBC | Media Monkey (guardian.co.uk)
- Viewers in UK criticize BBC for editing racist lines from classic ‘Fawlty Towers’ episode (indiavision.com)
- Censorship row as BBC cuts racist lines from classic Fawlty Towers episode (dailymail.co.uk)
- I say, Fawlty, there are men wearing frocks in the cocktail bar (thisismoney.co.uk)
- VOTE: Should ‘Fawlty Towers’ Have Been Edited For Racist Language? (huffingtonpost.co.uk)