” On Monday, NBC published a Department of Justice memo that lays out the Obama administration’s framework for determining when it’s lawful for President Obama to order the assassination of a U.S. citizen.
Basically, the president can assassinate you if “an informed, high-level” administration official has determined that (1) you are a senior figure in either al-Qaida or “an associated force”; (2) you pose a threat to the United States; and (3) capturing you wouldn’t be feasible. The memo goes on to explain that the president can order your assassination without “clear evidence that a specific attack on U.S. persons and interests will take place in the immediate future.”
Below are some tips for how to decrease your odds of being assassinated by President Obama.
2.) Make sure you’re always somewhere where you can easily be capturedOne of the vaguest parts of the DOJ memo is the passage about when it’s feasible to capture a suspect. After discussing various relevant factors, the memo simply notes that “feasibility would be a highly fact-specific and potentially time-sensitive inquiry.”The key here is to avoid remote areas. If you’re traveling in a foreign country, stay at brand-name hotels in major cities or near major highways. Marriott and Hyatt hotels are often surprisingly affordable, especially if you travel during off-peak seasons. Avoid countries with underdeveloped infrastructure that could make it difficult or time-consuming for authorities to reach you. Also, consider the number of flights in and out of the city or area you’re visiting. The busiest commercial airports outside of the U.S. are in Beijing, London, and Tokyo.”
- DOJ Memo: Obama Administration Claims Broader Authority To Kill Americans (jonathanturley.org)
- Obama’s rationale to sign death warrants (philebersole.wordpress.com)
- Obama Plans to Assassinate American Citizens? (americanlivewire.com)
- Chilling legal memo from Obama DOJ justifies assassination of US citizens | Glenn Greenwald (guardian.co.uk)
- Legal memo from Obama DOJ okays assassination of US citizens (boingboing.net)
- Beware: A President who justifies secret drone killings of Americans can justify anything (thetruthseeker.co.uk)
- Brennan denies civilian toll by drones (rinf.com)
- Obama’s American Assassination Rules (youviewed.com)
- Viewpoint: The White House, Drones and Minority Report (nation.time.com)