” Second Amendment advocates flocked to Annapolis on Wednesday to rally and testify against a gun control proposal by Gov. Martin O’Malley, mounting a massive protest whose scale surprised some observers in the heavily Democratic state.
Mr. O’Malley, a Democrat, was among the first of more than 400 people scheduled to testify before the state’s Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee on the bill, which would ban assault weapons and require residents to obtain a license before purchasing handguns.
Before the hearing, more than 1,000 gun rights advocates gathered outside the State House to voice their disapproval, echoing scenes that have played out in other state capitals, where the push for gun control by Democratic leaders in the wake of last year’s school shooting in Newtown, Conn., is getting blowback from Republicans as well as many conservative and rural Democrats.
“It just seems to be rather punitive to the law-abiding citizens of this state like myself,” Tom Morris Jr., a Maryland resident and former correspondent for the TV series “America’s Most Wanted,” said during Wednesday’s hearing. “We can limit the capacity of magazines, but that’s not going to stop a criminal from putting in as many bullets as he can get.” “
- Pics, video: Second Amendment supporters take to Md. streets to protest gun grab (twitchy.com)
- 2nd Amendment advocates flocked to Annapolis for rally against gun control proposal by Gov. O’Malley (iowntheworld.com)
- Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley presses lawmakers for handgun licenses for residents (givemeliberty01.com)
- Gun control hearing draws big crowd to Annapolis (sfgate.com)
- Anti-Gun Maryland State Senator Ignores Pro-Gun Testimony by Playing Chess (townhall.com)
- Gun Control Opponents Rally In Annapolis (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- Pro-2A Groups Swarm Maryland Gun Control Hearings (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- Governor urges handgun licenses for residents (wnd.com)