” He has already told House Democrats that the focus of the speech will be on jobs and the economy, but according to USA Today, he is also expected to discuss gun control, climate change, and immigration.
In other words, the State of the Union address will probably sound a lot like every other speech the president has given. If your State of the Union drinking game doesn’t include the phrase “common-sense solutions,” you’re probably some sort of teetotaler.
If you’re among the 88 percent of Americans who won’t bother to tune in (according to Nielsen ratings of last year’s audience), don’t worry: It’s not like the president will actually discuss the real state of the country. Rather it’s yet another chance for Obama to promote his own policies and ignore their many flaws. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), on behalf of the GOP, and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), on behalf of the Tea Party, will provide responses that will hopefully point out the president’s attempts to dodge reality. But if not, we’ve got a handy list of issues the president is likely to avoid in the State of the Union address.”
Can you guess what topics will be left untouched ? Make your list and then go here to see how you fare against Reason’s estimates of what’s missing . We don’t think it’s too difficult to get a grip on what Lord Obama will ignore … just think what’s truly important … yet politically inconvenient .
- The Morning Plum: Marco Rubio won’t offer any real GOP “alternative” (washingtonpost.com)
- Assessing the Address: State of the Union Lesson Ideas (learning.blogs.nytimes.com)
- SOTU According To The Teaparty … Rand Paul To Respond (youviewed.com)
- Holmes Norton to bring shooting victim’s mother to SOTU (politico.com)
- Ted Nugent at the SOTU? That’s Bad, but the Problem Goes a Lot Deeper (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Who was invited: Past presidential guests at State of the Union (cnn.com)