” Jose Antonio Vargas, an illegal immigrant and former reporter, scolded a congressional panel on Wednesday, saying that he should not be called illegal, and saying it is an insult to his family who brought him here.
“When you inaccurately call me illegal, you not only dehumanize me, you’re offending them,” he said. “No human being is illegal.”
Mr. Vargas testified to the Senate Judiciary Committee alongside Chris Crane — a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent and president of the ICE agents’ union — who is unable to arrest him under the administration’s new non-deportation policies.
Mr. Vargas, who “came out” as an illegal immigrant several years ago, delivered an emotional plea for the country to legalize him.
“What do you want to do with us?” he asked the committee.
Last week, a top House Democrat also warned colleagues against using the term “illegal immigrants.”
“Our citizens are not — the people in this country are not illegal. They are are out of status. They are new Americans that are immigrants,” Rep. John Conyers Jr., Michigan Democrat, told colleagues on the House Judiciary Committee.
Many immigrant-rights advocates object to the terms “illegal” and “alien,” saying that people cannot be deemed illegal, and that the word “alien” makes them sound inhuman. They argue the better terms are “undocumented migrants.”
Many newspapers, including The Washington Times, use the phrase “illegal immigrant,” deeming it the most accurate description. “
Now we are supposed to take orders from people who deliberately broke our laws in order to get here ? And John Conyers refers to them as “our citizens”. Who works for the legal residents/citizens of this country ?
- Illegal Immigrant: Don’t Call Me “Illegal” (townhall.com)
- Illegal Alien Tells Congress Not Call Him “Illegal” (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- At Least Five Democrats – Including First Lady – Will Bring Illegal Aliens to SOTU (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Illegal immigrant journalist to testify on Capitol Hill this week (theblaze.com)
- Why are Democrats Harboring Illegal Immigrants? (radio.foxnews.com)
- Democrats bringing illegals to State of the Union (redalertpolitics.com)