” Two Russian nuclear-armed bombers circled the western Pacific island of Guam this week in the latest sign of Moscow’s growing strategic assertiveness toward the United States.
The Russian Tu-95 Bear-H strategic bombers were equipped with nuclear-tipped cruise missiles and were followed by U.S. jets as they circumnavigated Guam on Feb. 12 local time—hours before President Barack Obama’s state of the union address.
Air Force Capt. Kim Bender, a spokeswoman for the Pacific Air Force in Hawaii, confirmed the incident to the Washington Free Beacon and said Air Force F-15 jets based on Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, “scrambled and responded to the aircraft.”
John Bolton, former U.N. ambassador and former State Department international security undersecretary, said the Russian bomber flights appear to be part of an increasingly threatening strategic posture in response to Obama administration anti-nuclear policies.
“Every day brings new evidence that Obama’s ideological obsession with dismantling our nuclear deterrent is dangerous,” Bolton said. “Our national security is in danger of slipping off the national agenda even as the threats grow.”
Defense officials said the bombers tracked over Guam were likely equipped with six Kh-55 or Kh-55SM cruise missiles that can hit targets up to 1,800 miles away with either a high-explosive warhead or a 200-kiloton nuclear warhead.”
- Russia delivers a message for post-superpower America as sequestration defense cuts loom (americanthinker.com)
- Two Nuclear-Armed Russian Bombers Reportedly Skirt US Base (businessinsider.com)
- High Alert: Russian Nuclear Bombers Circle Guam (secretsofthefed.com)
- Russian Nuclear Bombers Over Guam (freedomoutpost.com)
- Nuclear-armed Russian jets reportedly circled US territory of Guam (foxnews.com)
- Bomber incident: two Nuclear-armed Russian Tu-95s reportedly skirt U.S. military base at Guam (theaviationist.com)
- Russian Nuclear Bombers Over US Territory (blacklistednews.com)
- Russian Nuclear-Armed Bombers Enter U.S. Airspace Ahead Of Obama SOTU In Intentional Message Of Dominance After Obama Promise To Disarm U.S. Of Nukes (patdollard.com)
- Russian nuclear bombers circle Guam (iowntheworld.com)