” The Pentagon has begun a “deep dive” review of more than 170 military family and recreation programs on bases worldwide to identify redundancies and efficiencies — all the while insisting that the effort is not aimed at scrapping facilities in the new era of tight budgets.
Pentagon officials said that Army daycare programs, the focus of an ongoing investigation over the hiring of more than 30 workers with criminal backgrounds Fort Meyer, Va., were also included in the 120-day task force review.
“We’re going to be peeling these back, looking for redundancies,” said Charles Milam, the acting deputy assistant secretary of Defense for Military Community and Family Policy, about the programs targeted for the data-driven review that he leads.
“The services are working through preparations planning for cuts,” Milam said. “[This review] has nothing to do with looming sequestration or budget cuts. There is no goal to do that.”
However, several other participants at the Family Readiness Council meeting last month suggested that sequestration would likely be a factor in Milam’s review. The military stands to lose $500 billion from planned defense spending over the next ten years should Congress fail to come to an agreement that averts sequestration cuts scheduled to start on March 1.”
- Panetta on Sequestration: ‘We Have No Idea What the Hell’s Going to Happen’ (cnsnews.com)
- DOD to Begin Review of Family, Military Community Programs (defense.gov)
- Hello, Sequestration: Ships’ Deployment Postponed Because of Budget Fears (pjmedia.com)
- Langley air show canceled over sequestration threat (stripes.com)
- Pentagon cuts could include military pay, furloughs (wtvr.com)
- DOD’s 46,000 temporary workers may face firing (stripes.com)
- AP sources: Pentagon extending benefits for gays (cnsnews.com)
- Constitution!? Bitch please, we’re the Pentagon! (godextinguisher.wordpress.com)
- Pentagon Pissed at Panetta (shepherdspiehole.typepad.com)
- AP: Pentagon to give same-sex partners some benefits (cbsnews.com)