” Cut to Washington State: in this case, liberal Democrats in the legislature have introduced an assault weapon ban that includes annual inspections of the homes of people that already own assault weapons to make sure that they are being safely stored.
There is no need for a warrant; there is no probable cause requirement; and the Seattle Times columnist writing about this clearly unconstitutional law observes that the sponsors include “Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, a lawyer who typically is hyper-attuned to civil-liberties issues.”
After a stream of criticism, the author withdrew the warrantless search section of the bill, calling it a “mistake.” Yet, as Bryan Preston points out, the warrantless search section – word for word — was included in bills by Kline in 2009 and 2005.
Mistake? I think he was just finally caught and called out this time.
What makes this especially outrageous: not only are they ignoring the Fourth Amendment’s guarantee regarding warrantless searches and the Second Amendment’s guarantee of the right to bear arms, but also the Washington State Constitution’s guarantee of the right to bear arms.
Before liberals attempt to defend not only warrantless searches but also to claim that “assault weapons” are not protected: the Supreme Court of the State of Washington has recognized by name the AR-15 as a constitutionally protected arm.
The case was an ugly one: State v. Rupe (Washington, 1984). The defendant was convicted of murdering the two women who worked at a branch office of Tumwater State Bank. Rupe had left his bloodstained checkbook on the counter in the midst of the robbery, and was convicted on a combination of evidence including testimony of conspirators. No, Rupe did not use an AR-15; he used a revolver. So how did an AR-15 end up in this case? “
- Washington State Dem Bill Would Allow Warrantless Searches of Private Homes for Guns (pjmedia.com)
- Gun-owner home searches ‘Orwellian’ (wnd.com)
- Gun-owner Home Searches ‘Orwellian’ (bobusnr.wordpress.com)
- About that ‘Mistake’ that Almost Created a Police State in Washington… (pjmedia.com)
- Democrats Introduce Bill to ALLOW POLICE TO SEARCH HOMES OF GUN OWNERS (secretsofthefed.com)
- WA Dems Sponsor Bill Allowing Police to Search Gunowners’ Homes (breitbart.com)
- Dems Sponsor Bill Allowing in Home Inspections of Gun Owners (blacklistednews.com)