” Independent police investigators are looking into the claims after video footage emerged showing a man being dragged along a road behind a police van.
The man, a 27-year-old from Mozambique, was later found dead in a police cell in Daveyton, Johannesburg, on Tuesday.
Officers have claimed they put the taxi driver in a police van in order to take him to a police station on the East Rand, and cannot explain how he later died.
But the video, obtained by South Africa’s Daily Sun newspaper, shows officers struggling to overpower a man – believed to be the taxi driver – before attaching him to a point at the rear of their vehicle and then driving off leaving him hanging outside. Less..”
- SHOCK VIDEO: SAfrican taxi driver dies after being handcuffed to police vehicle and dragged… (news.sky.com)
- Man ‘dragged by SA police van’ dies (bbc.co.uk)
- Man dies after being dragged behind South African police van (guardian.co.uk)
- Handcuffed to a police van and dragged away to his death: Horrific fate of driver arrested over a parking dispute (dailymail.co.uk)
- South African police allegedly beat taxi driver to death in parking row (thesun.co.uk)
- Dragged to his death: Horrifying moment man ‘handcuffed to police van by officers and pulled 400m’ (mirror.co.uk)
- South African police caught on camera dragging handcuffed man behind van (telegraph.co.uk)
- Outrage as South African police drag handcuffed man behind van – The Times (subscription) (thetimes.co.uk)