” On Tuesday, a student resource officer at a high school in Lloyd, New York, accidentally discharged his sidearm while patrolling school grounds. As a result district officials have suspended the ‘police-in-schools’ program indefinitely.
Officer Sean McCutcheon, who is employed by the Highland Central School District, accidentally discharged his Glock .45 at 1:38 p.m. Tuesday at Highland High School.
While details of how McCutcheon mistakenly fired off a round are still being investigated, what is clear is that no one was injured when the gun went off.
“No students or staff were in the area when the weapon discharged, and no one was injured as a result of this accidental discharge,” Highland Central School District Superintendent Deborah Haab told reporters during a Tuesday meeting with parents and the press.
“He’s suspended pending the investigation,” Lloyd police Lt. James Janso told reporters, adding that the suspension is standard protocol given the circumstances. “
- District suspends police-in-schools program after officer discharges gun (rawstory.com)
- Officer suspended after gun discharged in school (usatoday.com)
- School system puts officer program on hold after shot (usatoday.com)
- Cop “Accidentally’ Fires Gun in School – Guards in School Program Ends (willyloman.wordpress.com)
- Cop Accidentally Fires Gun…In School (libertynews.com)
- Officer who fired shot in NY high school suspended (seattletimes.com)