” BEIRUT (AP) — Syrian rebels freed 21 U.N. peacekeepers on Saturday after holding them hostage for four days, ending a sudden entanglement with the world body that earned fighters trying to oust President Bashar Assad a flood of negative publicity.
The episode is bound to prompt new questions about U.N. operations in war-torn Syria. The peacekeepers were part of a force that has spent four decades monitoring an Israeli-Syrian cease-fire without incident.
The Filipino peacekeepers crossed from Syria to safety in Jordan on Saturday afternoon, said Mokhtar Lamani, the Damascus representative of the U.N.-Arab League peace envoy to Syria.”
- Syria rebels free UN peacekeepers (thehindu.com)
- Syria: Clashes erupt in area where UN troops held (cnsnews.com)
- Freed UN peacekeepers cross safely from Syria to Jordan (worldnews.nbcnews.com)
- ’21 PH peacekeepers in Jordan’ – spokesman (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- U.N.: Captive peacekeepers freed from Syrian rebels (cbsnews.com)
- UN Peacekeepers Freed At Jordanian Border (news.sky.com)