” Kelly reportedly bought the AR-15 and a 1911-style semi-automatic pistol at a gun store in Tucson, Arizona.
Breitbart News received a tip on this when Neil McCabe, editor of Guns & Patriots newsletter, contacted us on March 7 and said:
Mark E. Kelly, made purchases which included an AR-15–sometimes described as an “assault rifle”–at 3:30 pm on the afternoon of March 5 at Diamondback Police Supply, 170 S. Kolb Street, Tucson, AZ.
According to McCabe, witnesses to the purchases claimed Kelly purchased “high capacity” magazines as well.
On March 6, McCabe contacted Kelly’s gun control group–”Americans for Responsible Solutions”–and on March 8 they replied that his message had been passed on to colleagues who handle press requests. Breitbart News then began investigating the details surrounding the purchase, including visiting the gun store.
Suddenly, Kelly announced on his Facebook page that he was not going to keep the AR-15, which he has yet to pick up from the store.
Days after making the purchases, Kelly wrote on Facebook:
I just had a background check a few days ago when I went to my local gun store to buy a .45. As I was leaving, I noticed a used AR-15. Bought that too. Even to buy an assault weapon, the background check only takes a matter of minutes. I don’t have possession of it yet but I’ll be turning it over to the Tucson PD when I do.”
- Fail: Gabby Giffords’ husband caught buying AR-15 (bluegrasspundit.com)
- Re: Gabby Gifford’s husband buys AR-15 (libertycaucus.net)
- Gabby Giffords’s Husband Buys AR-15 (conservativebyte.com)
- Gabby Giffords’ Husband, Mark Kelly, Testifies Against AR-15s – Then Goes Out and Buys One (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- Gabby Giffords’s Hypocrite Husband Mark Caught Buying AR-15, Claims He’s Not Keeping It After News Leaks Out (patdollard.com)