” KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Militants staged two suicide attacks that killed at least 19 people on Saturday, the first full day of U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s visit to Afghanistan. They were a fresh reminder of the challenges posed by insurgents to the U.S.-led NATO force as it hands over the country’s security to the Afghans.
“This attack was a message to him,” Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said of Hagel, in an email to reporters about the bombing outside the country’s Defense Ministry in Kabul.
Hagel was nowhere near that attack, but heard it across the city. He told reporters traveling with him that he wasn’t sure what it was when he heard the explosion.”
- Afghan bombers strike during U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s visit (suntimes.com)
- 18 Killed in Afghan Attacks During Hagel’s Visit (voanews.com)
- Suicide bomber strikes as Hagel visits Kabul; 9 civilians dead (latimes.com)
- Bombs, Clashes With Karzai Mar Hagel’s Afghan Trip – NPR (npr.org)
- Afghan bombers strike during US official’s visit (sfgate.com)
- Afghan bombers strike during U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s visit, officials say (newsday.com)