” Sixty-thousand federal employees responsible for securing the nation’s borders and facilitating trade will be furloughed for as many as 14 days starting next month because of $85 billion in cross-government spending cuts.
The federal government notified the workers on Thursday, CNN reports.U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials said the furloughs and other austerity measures would cause delays at ports of entry, including international arrivals at airports, and would reduce the number of border patrol officers on duty at any one time, CNN reports.
David Aguilar, the agency’s deputy commissioner, said it must cut about $754 million by Sept. 30, the end of the fiscal year.The agency plans to institute furloughs throughout its departments, a hiring freeze — and to reduce or eliminate overtime, compensatory time, travel and training. Other federal agencies are following similar steps because of the spending cuts that took effect on March 1 through sequestration.
The Customs furloughs will begin in mid-April, with reductions in border patrol overtime starting on April 7, Burke said.
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said on Monday that she expects customs wait times to increase to 150 to 200 percent of normal, CNN said.
“I don’t mean to scare, I mean to inform,” Napolitano said. “If you’re traveling, get to the airport earlier than you otherwise would. There’s only so much we can do with personnel.” “
- MORE Proof that Obama IS a VINDICTIVE PRICK! (therightofway.net)
- Furloughs bite for customs workers (wyff4.com)
- Sequester forces Border Protection cuts (upi.com)
- Customs workers get furlough notices (wqad.com)
- Sequester Forces Border Protection Cuts (personalliberty.com)
- Like clockwork, 60,000 border agents face furloughs… (redflagnews.com)
- Border protection workers warned of possible furloughs (usnews.nbcnews.com)