” The Disabled American Veterans has written a letter to Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., because of a recent statement she made that post-traumatic stress disorder “is a new phenomenon” and should be a factor in whether a veteran is allowed to own a gun.
In a nearly 900-word letter DAV Executive Director Barry A. Jesinoski said Feinstein’s comments are not accurate and only perpetuate a popular falsehood linking PTSD and violence.
“We ask that you clarify your statement to reassure people that you hold no such bias toward veterans or military service members,” he said.
“We do not believe an assumption should be made based on anecdotal evidence that an individual diagnosed with PTSD should automatically be considered incapable of governing one’s anger and thoughts of violence,” he wrote. “This kind of assumption fosters the social stigma and discrimination that challenges individuals in their efforts towards mental health rehabilitation and recovery.” “
- Feinstein Claims it’s legal to “hunt humans” (dprogram.net)
- Feinstein: Veterans Shouldn’t Be Exempt From Assault Weapons Ban – Because PTSD (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Feinstein: Veterans May Have PTSD And Should Not Be Exempt From Assault Weapons Ban (givemeliberty01.com)
- US Army needs to sharpen up PTSD diagnosis (newscientist.com)
- DAV: February 2013 Newsletter (bikersofamerica.blogspot.com)
- Feinstein: Veterans May Have PTSD And Should Not Be Exempt From Assault Weapons Ban (junkscience.com)
- Feinstein: Veterans All Have PTSD And Are Crazy, so Shouldn’t Own Modern Rifles (thetruthaboutguns.com)