” Dolphins armed with guns allegedly escaped from a Ukrainian Navy staging area and are now roaming the Black Sea off the coast of Crimea.
The marine mammals were said to be part of a revived Cold War-era program where dolphins are trained for military use such as fighting and killing frogmen-saboteurs, searching for mines, and scouting and even destroying enemy battleships, according to a Russian news agency.
More Here :
” Sounds like something out of a bad James Bond movie. The Ukrainian navy is training captive dolphins to attack enemy swimmers. According to RIA Novosti:
The killer-dolphins will be trained to attack enemy combat swimmers using special knives or pistols fixed to their heads, the source said. “We are now planning training exercises for counter-combat swimmer tasks in order to defend ships in port and on raids,” he said.”
There are all manner of rumors about how dolphins are or have been employed by the Navy. They include:
- Training dolphins to pull face masks off of divers and force them to the surface.
- Arming them with .45 caliber bang sticks.
- Arming them with large hypodermic syringes loaded with CO2 gas that would cause an enemy diver to explode.
… as well as having them attach mines to enemy ships.
There are also reports, like this one from the BBC, that some dolphins from the Soviet era have been sold to Iran.”
And Here :
” Worrying news today for any Register readers who may be in the neighbourhood of the Black Sea, as news has emerged that three elite Ukrainian navy killer dolphins, possibly armed with deadly weapons attached to their heads, have gone absent without leave in the region, apparently intent on nookie.
As all habitués of these pages will know, the Ukrainian navy possesses one of just two military dolphin formations worldwide (the other belongs to the US navy), having inherited it during the division of the former Soviet Black Sea fleet. Since the end of the Cold War, the combat cetaceans had mostly been employed on peaceful duties: but last year news emerged that the battle-bottlenoses would be trained up once more in warlike missions such as the laying or hunting of mines – or even attacking enemy frogmen using “knives or pistols” attached to their heads.”
- Sexually frustrated ‘killer’ dolphins escape from navy to find love (metro.co.uk)
- Military Dolphins with Frickin’ Guns Attached to Their Heads Have Gone Missing in the Black Sea (gawker.com)
- Ukrainian killer dolphins are on the loose (slashgear.com)
- Dolphin down! World¿s only ¿military trained mammals¿ go awol as they desert Ukrainian Navy in search of a mate (dailymail.co.uk)
- Day 71: Watch Out! Dolphins are Armed and Dangerous! (howtocrossanocean.wordpress.com)
- 3 commando dolphins go AWOL in Crimea (usatoday.com)
- ‘Killer dolphins’ escape from handlers (wnd.com)
- Soviet killer dolphins on the loose in the Black Sea (boingboing.net)