” The NRA is vigorously denying an NBCNews.com report saying that the NRA is cutting a backroom deal with Congress (including Congressional Republicans) that would allow for universal background checks and the creation of a vast federal database identifying all (legal) gun owners. In exchange for this alleged deal, Democrats will back off from accusing the NRA and Republicans from refusing to act following the Sandy Hook Tragedy.
According to NBCNews.com:
Senators negotiating a bill mandating background checks for all gun buyers are privately expecting the National Rifle Association not to fight the measure — provided the legislation does not require private gun sellers to maintain records of the checks, NBC News has learned.
If that requirement is met and key Republican negotiator Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma signs on, the powerful gun lobby has signaled to lawmakers that they would not actively oppose the bill — and not count votes in favor of it as part of its highly influential NRA lawmaker ratings — according to Senate aides familiar with the stalled negotiations.”
We have an absolutely worthless republican leadership in the Senate … Throw the bums out … Cowards , Bastards , Traitors … Rot in Hell
Even if the NRA is not involved in any deal-making, it appears that Congressional Republicans are trying to cut a deal that they hope will stop Democrats and the media from claiming that Republicans refuse to do anything to help prevent another Sandy Hook. Ammoland reported that:
Republican Majority Leader Eric Cantor is leading the charge to give Obama and Holder what they want in exchange for appearing to be ‘fixing’ the problem of innocent children being butchered in our public and private schools.
If Ammoland is correct that Republicans are making a deal on gun control, it appears that the rot goes all the way to the top. Again, from Ammoland:
Newly appointed Republican Judiciary Chairman, Bob Goodlatte R-VA 6th District, is providing political cover for the sneaky back room gun control deals and gun grabbing sell outs that his political masters – – John Boehner and Eric Cantor – are cutting [deals] with Obama and his corrupt Attorney General, Eric Holder.”
- Democrats, Republicans and NRA work together on gun confiscation (rinf.com)
- Republicans, Democrats and the NRA secretely working on full gun control legislation? (real-agenda.com)
- Democrats, Republicans & NRA Work Together On Gun Confiscation (amresolution.com)
- COINTELPRO: NRA WORKING ON GUN CONFISCATION W/ Democrats & Republicans [W/ VIDEO] (secretsofthefed.com)
- NRA May Not Oppose Background Checks (politicalwire.com)
- Statement from Chris W. Cox, NRA-ILA Executive Director, regarding inaccurate NBC story alleging that NRA won’t oppose background check bill (nraila.org)
- NBC: NRA won’t block deal on background checks in Congress – as long as private sellers aren’t forced to keep records; Update: No way, says NRA (hotair.com)
- Sources: NRA won’t oppose background check deal – if Democrats cede tough records fight (scooprocket.com)