” A Western New York man now faces seven years in prison for violating Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s new gun control-law, the NY Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act (or SAFE Act).
Benjamin M. Wassell, an Iraq War veteran, was charged with twice selling newly banned military-style ‘assault’ weapons and standard-capacity magazines to an undercover police officer as part of a sting operation conducted by State Police and the New York Attorney General’s Office, the Buffalo News reported.
The first sale Wassell made to the undercover officer was made nine days after the Governor rammed through the law in the dead of night after waving the mandatory three-day legislative review period.
Instead of arresting Wassell after his first offense, the investigators held out and remained undercover to see if he would sell another banned firearm. Unfortunately, he did.
Thoughts and analysis
This is only beginning.
Gun owners in the Empire State should be on high-alert moving forward. Both Cuomo and NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg will continue to appropriate state and city resources to conducting sting operations that attempt to entrap law-abiding gun owners.
NY SAFE Act: Question on ‘Assault’ Weapons Registration
The way it looks, lawmakers want to ensure that this law is taken seriously. Previously legal firearms are now banned. And if you fail to register them in the coming weeks, you’re now a criminal in the eyes of the state.
Also, please note that these laws do not only apply to firearms, but magazines as well. The NY SAFE Act put a retroactive ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. If you’re caught with a 10-plus round magazine, you’re a criminal. If you load more than seven rounds in your ten round magazine, you’re in violation of the law.”
- NY man charged with violating SAFE Act (wwlp.com)
- Upstate man is 1st arrested under NY’s SAFE Act (uticaod.com)
- Tough new gun law in New York state nets first arrest (usatoday.com)
- BREAKING: First New Yorker Arrested Under SAFE Act (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- Silver Creek Man Becomes First Victim of Andrew Cuomo’s Unconstitutional New York Gun Ban (directorblue.blogspot.com)
- First Victim Entrapped in New York Under Unconstitutional Gun Law (rinf.com)
- Schneiderman announces arrest of Silver Creek man for selling illegal assault weapons (with photos) (wbng.com)