” People with bank accounts in Cyprus were shocked Saturday to learn that as part of an agreement reached with international creditors, the government has imposed a tax on all deposits to help bail out the nation and its banks.
While the island nation may be small, it’s an international favorite for offshore banking– particularly for wealthy Russians. The tax will range from 6.75% to 9.9%, depending on how much is in the account.
“This is a clear-cut robbery,” Andreas Moyseos, a former electrician who is now a pensioner in Nicosia, told the New York Times. Iliana Andreadakis, a book critic, further added: “This issue doesn’t only affect the people’s deposits, but also the prospect of the Cyprus economy. The E.U. has diminished its credibility.” “
- EUROZONE COUNTRY: Surprise! We’re Putting At Least a 6.75% Tax On Bank Deposits (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- Cyprus parliament delays vote on bank deposits tax (miamiherald.com)
- Cyprus depositors face up to 10% haircut as part of bailout deal agreed at Eurogroup (ekathimerini.com)
- BREAKING ALERT! CHAOS IN CYPRUS: “Thousands” Are Withdrawing Their Money; ALERT IN THE SOUTHERN EUROPEAN COUNTRIES – Cyprus-Rescue Shows, No Accounts Are Safe! | InvestmentWatch (2012indyinfo.com)
- Cyprus rescued with €10bn bailout but savers will have to pay (independent.co.uk)
- Cyprus: panic as savings levy is imposed (guardian.co.uk)