” Think the desperate Democrats trying to punish America for daring to inflict a two-percent reduction upon their spending plans couldn’t sink any lower? Think again.
On Monday, a 60mm mortar exploded during live-fire training at Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada, killing seven Marines and wounding several others. Fox News reports the Corps is investigating the cause of the explosion:
The Marines immediately issued an indefinite moratorium on firing of all such mortars worldwide until an investigation clears as safe the type of weapon and ammunition in the tragedy. The moratorium could last for weeks or months.”
Reid plays politics with tragedy :
” Mr. President, it’s very important we continue training our military, so important.But one of the things in sequester is we cut back in training and maintenance. That’s the way sequester was written. Now, the bill that’s on the floor, we hope to pass today helps that a little bit. At least in the next six months, it allows the military some degree of ability to move things around a little bit. Flexibility, we call it, and that’s good. But we have to be very vigilant. This sequester should go away. We have cut already huge amounts of money in deficit reduction. It’s just not appropriate, Mr. President, that our military can’t train and do the maintenance necessary.
The USMC is not amused by Reid’s posturing …
” The Marine Corps is not happy, according to NBC News reporter Jim Miklaszewski (once again by way of RealClearPolitics):
Now I can tell you, Marine Corps officials this afternoon are taking a strong exception to what Harry Reid implied. Saying that this this exercise, for example, was planned well in advance, had nothing to do with the budget cuts. There were no corners cut, and if they couldn’t afford to have all the safety precautions into place, they wouldn’t do the exercise.
And in fact, one Marine Corps official told us a short time ago that he considers this nothing but pure political posturing on the backs of these dead Marines.“
- Sick: Harry Reid exploits Marines’ deaths to knock sequester (hotair.com)
- Harry Reid is still a despicable troll (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Marines suspend 60mm rounds after deadly Nev. blast (foxnews.com)
- Harry Reid Blames Sequester For Explosion That Killed 7 Marines In Nevada (patdollard.com)
- Marine to Reid: Stop ‘Posturing’ on ‘Backs of Dead Marines’ (nationalreview.com)
- Mortar explosion kills seven Marines at Army depot in Nevada (stripes.com)
- Pentagon bans 60mm mortar round after Marine deaths (cbsnews.com)