” The liberal media will do anything to pressure lawmakers to support President Obama’s gun-control agenda.
Politico published a story Wednesday with this headline: “Hunting Group Wants Background Checks.” The story gave the false impression that the millions of hunters in the U.S. support Mr. Obama’s push for “universal background checks.”
That is way off target. In fact, 31 well-known hunting and conservation groups sent a letter to Capitol Hill Thursday expressing opposition to intrusion by the federal government into private firearm transfers.
Politico only cites one small group in its story, Bull Moose Sportsmen, which claims 5,000 members. The story gives no context for the size of this group in relation to other hunting advocacy groups, nor its prominence in the community. The single poll cited in the Politico story is one commissioned by the group itself and claims 72 percent of hunters support “criminal background checks with some exceptions.”
None of the major hunting groups which represent the millions of law-abiding sportsmen was mentioned, nor the polling of those members.
In fact, Bull Moose Sportsmen is a fringe organization run by Democratic activists that has been rejected from membership into the major gun and hunting groups’ umbrella organization because it refuses to reveal its funding sources.
The American Wildlife Conservation Partners (AWCP) is a consortium of 42 organizations, including major groups such as Safari Club International, Ducks Unlimited, National Wildlife Turkey Federation, National Rifle Association and the National Shooting Sports Foundation. The groups together represent 6 million individual members.
- Democrat Front Group Hyped As Hunters By Media In Gun Control Fight (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Colo. hunting faces backlash over gun control laws (articles.outtherecolorado.com)
- President Barack Hussein Obama Goes To Colorado: Video & Photos!! (theobamacrat.com)
- Hunters chart middle ground on guns (politico.com)
- Hunters Threaten Boycott While Gun Grabbers Run Colorado (personalliberty.com)
- 31 Major Outdoor Groups Sign Letter Opposing Universal Background Checks (youviewed.com)
- 4 More Ways Obama’s Gun Control Speech Sows Mistrust (reason.com)
- Poll: Could background checks lead to confiscation? (ksat.com)
- Obama uses executive power to move gun control agenda forward (secretsofthefed.com)