” A bipartisan deal to expand gun-purchase background checks looks promising, U.S. Senate aides said, as the White House began a strong gun-control push Monday.
The measure calls for background checks for all gun purchases except for those between close family members and some hunters, the aides said, adding the caveat addressed concerns of some conservatives.
He has been negotiating with Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., Mark Kirk, R-Ill., and Tom Coburn, R-Okla., over the deal’s details, but talks were stalled amid Coburn’s opposition to requiring gun owners to keep records of private gun sales — a point Schumer insisted on.”
- Senator Pat Toomey working on agreement to expand background checks on firearms sales (pennlive.com)
- Dem, GOP senators work on background check deal (seattletimes.com)
- Senators work on deal expanding background checks (newsday.com)
- U.S. senators seeking bipartisan gun bill (enterprisenews.com)
- Progress on guns? Fresh talks with GOP ahead of Senate action (firstread.nbcnews.com)
- Senators work on deal expanding background checks (ktvb.com)