‘Appalling Irresponsibility’: Senior Scientists Attack Chinese Researchers For Creating New Strains Of Influenza Virus In Veterinary Laboratory
” They warned there is a danger that the new viral strains created by mixing bird-flu virus with human influenza could escape from the laboratory to cause a global pandemic killing millions of people.
Lord May of Oxford, a former government chief scientist and past president of the Royal Society, denounced the study published today in the journal Science as doing nothing to further the understanding and prevention of flu pandemics.
“They claim they are doing this to help develop vaccines and such like. In fact the real reason is that they are driven by blind ambition with no common sense whatsoever,” Lord May told The Independent.
“The record of containment in labs like this is not reassuring. They are taking it upon themselves to create human-to-human transmission of very dangerous viruses. It’s appallingly irresponsible,” he said.”
The controversial study into viral mixing was carried out by a team led by Professor Hualan Chen, director of China’s National Avian Influenza Reference Laboratory at Harbin Veterinary Research Institute.
Professor Chen and her colleagues deliberately mixed the H5N1 bird-flu virus, which is highly lethal but not easily transmitted between people, with a 2009 strain of H1N1 flu virus, which is very infectious to humans.”
- Single Gene Swap Helps Bird Flu Virus Switch Hosts (news.sciencemag.org)
- Chinese Scientists Create Mutant Bird Flu (theepochtimes.com)
- Doctors warned to look out for new H7N9 bird flu virus (telegraph.co.uk)
- UK: ‘Appalling irresponsibility’ in Chinese H5N1 experiments: Senior scientists (crofsblogs.typepad.com)
- Chinese Scientists Create New Mutant Bird-Flu Virus (wired.com)
- China reports 27th death from H7N9 bird flu (wireupdate.com)
- Scientists Identify Origin And History Of H7N9 Bird Flu Virus (medicalnewstoday.com)
- The 8 best herbal home remedies to fight Avian flu or bird flu virus (informationbattles.wordpress.com)