” Somehow, left-liberals have associated the cause of gun rights with white racism, when if anything it is gun control that has a racist legacy. In the United States, early gun laws targeted recently freed blacks, and open carry first became banned in California under Governor Ronald Reagan to disarm groups like the Black Panthers. Today, blacks and Hispanics are disproportionately subjected to humiliating stop-and-frisk searches in the name of gun control.
Perhaps the most telling data concerns the racial makeup of who goes to prison for gun violations.According to the U.S. Sentencing Commission, for Fiscal Year 2011, 49.6% of those sentenced to federal incarceration with a primary offense of firearms violations were black, 20.6% were Hispanic, and only 27.5% were white.
This is how gun laws actually work—those caught violating them go to prison. For the mere act of owning an illegal weapon—not necessarily for using it, not for threatening anyone with it, not for being irresponsible with it—people who have harmed no one are locked up in prison for years at a time. As with the rest of the criminal justice system, particularly the war on drugs, these laws disproportionately harm the poor and minorities. That is the inescapable reality of gun control.
It makes sense that blacks and others living in the inner city would rely more on private, illegal guns for self-defense. The police are unreliable at best in many of these communities. It also makes sense that minorities would be disproportionately hurt by these laws, because so many of the dynamics in play are the same as with the drug war—people are being punished for what they own, rather than what they have done to others; “
- US gun homicides at 20-year low (bbc.co.uk)
- Obama: ‘This was just the first round’ on trying to pass gun control measures (thehill.com)
- Gun Control Would Address Declining Crime Rates With Irrelevant Laws (reason.com)
- You Think Gun Control Laws Work? You’re a Special Kind of Stupid. (thiscrapistrue.wordpress.com)
- Statistics Gun Control Advocates Don’t Want to See (1800politics.com)
- Stossel on Gun Control: Federal Laws Won’t Stop Crazy People (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Kansas gun law under fire from US attorney general (sacbee.com)
- In Op-Ed, Biden fails the smell test when it comes to stating facts on guns (theseatonpost.com)