” Fortunately, District Court Judge Michael Baylson issued a restraining order prohibiting Sebelius from applying the policy that will block Sarah from getting the lung transplant. CNN reports:
Janet Murnaghan, Sarah’s mother, said the family is “thrilled … literally jumping for joy.”
Now let’s be clear about exactly what happened here. A policy was put in place by the federal government that said certain people would take priority over others for transplants. When a person proved to be in desperate need of such a transplant – a matter of life and death – a cabinet-level government official refused to intervene, citing the rules, citing limits on her own authority and saying it would take too long at any rate to change the policy.
Lungs are available. A 10-year-old girl needs one or she will die. But a government policy says she can’t have one and no one will do anything to set aside or get around the policy so a 10-year-old girl will not die. Or at least no one would until Judge Baylson came along, thank God.
This is the death panel. It is exactly what Palin was talking about. It is not a group of hooded men sitting atop a raised dias, informing unfortunate souls, “You have been selected for death,” but it has the exact same effect. The government makes rules to govern the allocation of resources in health care, and the rules leave no room for flexibility when a person’s life is on the line and common sense argues that flexibility is absolutely necessary. Only the intervention of this judge, assuming it is allowed to stand, can save this young girl’s life – because government has no idea how to stop tripping over its own policies.”
- Judge Issues Restraining Order Allowing 10-Year-Old Pa. Girl To Be Temporarily Added To Adult Lung Transplant List (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Death Panels ? What Death Panels ? (youviewed.com)
- Death Panel a la Sebelius… “Some people live. Some people die.” (askmarion.wordpress.com)
- Judge gives girl the chance for lungs, life (cnn.com)
- Court Ruling Overrides Sebelius, Allows Dying 10-Year-Old to be Eligible for Lung (pjmedia.com)
- Obamacare Death Panel Ghoul Kathleen Sebelius Denies Transplant To Ailing Child (lynleahz.com)
- Death Panels – Sarah Palin slams HHS Sebelius for not intervening in lung transplant for young girl (therightscoop.com)
- Court win in girl’s lung transplant case (foxnews.com)