” The father of a middle schooler in Calvert County, Md. says his 11-year-old son was suspended for 10 days for merely talking about guns on the bus ride home.
Bruce Henkelman of Huntingtown says his son, a sixth grader at Northern Middle School in Owings, was talking with friends about the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre when the bus driver hauled him back to school to be questioned by the principal, Darrel Prioleau.
“The principal told me that with what happened at Sandy Hook if you say the word ‘gun’ in my school you are going to get suspended for 10 days,” Henkelman said in an interview with WMAL.com.
The boy was questioned by the principal and a sheriff’s deputy, who also wanted to search the family home without a warrant, Henkelman said. “He started asking me questions about if I have firearms, and [the deputy said] he’s going to have to search my house. Search my house? I just wanted to know what happened.“
- 11 year old suspended from school for just talking about guns (rare.us)
- I am all for children being protected at school…. But….. (thoughtsandrantings.com)
- MD School Suspends 11-Year for Saying the Word “Gun” (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- Now Kids Talking About Guns Will Get Them Suspended (pjmedia.com)
- Banning the G-Word (nationalreview.com)
- 11-year-old suspended for talking about guns on school bus (redalertpolitics.com)