” Trolling. That’s the word that comes to mind when I read Lt. Col. Robert L. Bateman’s editorial on the Second Amendment in Esquire.
He’s got to be trolling the gun community. Either that or he’s bat-shit crazy. Those are the only two conclusions this humble writer can draw from reading his piece entitled, “It’s Time to Talk About Guns and the Supreme Court.”
Seriously, no solemn individual — let alone an officer who swears to protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic — says what he said with a straight face.
Consequently, he proposes a six-point platform that drastically curtails the Second Amendments rights of law-abiding citizens. As you’ll read below, it includes, severe restrictions on the types of guns one can own, confiscatory polices for guns that fall outside those categories, an end to police auctions that sell firearms, a nationwide federally-funded ‘gun buyback’ program, a 400 percent tax hike on ammo, the nationalization of gun manufacturers among others:
1. The only guns permitted will be the following:
a. Smoothbore or Rifled muzzle-loading blackpowder muskets. No 7-11 in history has ever been held up with one of these.
b. Double-barrel breech-loading shotguns. Hunting with these is valid.
c. Bolt-action rifles with a magazine capacity no greater than five rounds. Like I said, hunting is valid. But if you cannot bring down a defenseless deer in under five rounds, then you have no fking reason to be holding a killing tool in the first place.
2. We will pry your gun from your cold, dead, fingers. That is because I am willing to wait until you die, hopefully of natural causes. Guns, except for the three approved categories, cannot be inherited. When you die your weapons must be turned into the local police department, which will then destroy them. (Weapons of historical significance will be de-milled, but may be preserved.)
3. Police departments are no longer allowed to sell or auction weapons used in crimes after the cases have been closed. (That will piss off some cops, since they really need this money. But you know what they need more? Less violence and death. By continuing the process of weapon recirculation, they are only making their jobs — or the jobs of some other cops — harder.)
4. We will submit a new tax on ammunition. In the first two years it will be 400 percent of the current retail cost of that type of ammunition. (Exemptions for the ammo used by the approved weapons.) Thereafter it will increase by 20 percent per year.
5. We will initiate a nationwide “buy-back” program, effective immediately, with the payouts coming from the DoD budget. This buy-back program will start purchasing weapons at 200 percent of their face value the first year, 150 percent the second year, 100 percent the third year. Thereafter there will be a 10 year pause, at which point the guns can be sold to the government at 10 percent of their value for the next 50 years.
6. The major gun manufactures of the United States, less those who create weapons for the federal government and the armed forces, will be bought out by the United States of America, for our own damned good.
He can’t be serious.”
This man must be insane . Has he forgotten his oath to “support and defend” the Constitution ? Just in case , here it is as a reminder of what we pay him for :
The wordings of the current oath of enlistment and oath for commissioned officers are as follows:
“I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.” (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).
“I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God.” (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)
The Examiner offers a frank refutation of the Col.’s assertions as does the Sipsey Street Irregulars , and you can read previous articles written by Lt. Colonel Bateman who is a contributor to the Small Wars Journal . An attempt to uncover contact info for the Colonel so that our readers could let him know their thoughts has been unsuccessful .
Update 06:10 EST … Some more diligent bloggers have come up with a more comprehensive bio on Lt Col Bateman and his businesses including links to DHS … no surprise there … he fits right in with the storm trooper crowd . Anyway you can contact the Colonel here . Please be polite . Thanks to TeaParty.org for their investigative work .