” I first joined the NRA when I decided to attend the NRA Range Development course in 2005. I was there to learn about private range operations and the hurdles of getting shooting ranges approved in California. I learned that getting a shooting range approved in California is almost harder than getting Spotted Owl on the menu at a Sierra Club gala.
I took military leave from the SEAL sniper course to attend the Las Vegas NRA Range Development conference in 2005. I remember sitting in the conference room as the attendees were going around the room introducing themselves, “Joe from Colorado, gun show owner”, “Bob from Montana, gun smith…” When it came to my turn, I stood up, kept a straight face, and told them I was a representative of the Sierra Club who was attending to find ways to shut down shooting ranges across the nation. I’m pretty sure one guy had a stroke, and the rest were just north of apoplectic. When I told them I was bullshitting them and gave them my background as a Navy SEAL, the tension disappeared and the room erupted in laughter.
I never shot much as a kid, aside from shooting clay pidgeons off the bow of the boat I worked on. I hunted quite a bit, but it was with my spear gun, not a rifle. I learned to shoot in the Navy, and only became an expert with a weapon by the time I finished my first SEAL platoon work up. It was there that I was given a shot to attend sniper school with my best friend Glen Doherty (later killed in Benghazi, Libya).”
The author Brandon Webb is a retired SEAL , author and website editor . In the piece he offers his take on guns , gun control , the NRA and reasons why he should be elected to the board of the NRA . Some of his positions along with a brief bio are laid out below . To learn more click the link .
” A Snap Shot Perspective of My Views on Gun Ownership & The 2nd Amendment
- The 2nd Amendment is inherent in America’s cultural DNA
- Limiting magazine capacity is ridiculous and impractical
- I believe everyone who owns a gun should attend a firearms safety qualifications course, and this should be standardized across the country. Too many people I’ve seen on the range are unsafe.
- Yes, owning a gun is a right, driving is also a right but you have to have pass a drivers test to prove competency
- Few people outside of America understand how important firearms ownership is to Americans
- Background checks are a good idea but should take minutes, not days
- Often gun laws are made by people who don’t use, own, or understand firearms”
Here is his bio .
“ Brandon Webb is a former U.S. Navy SEAL with combat deployments to Afghanistan, and Iraq. During his last tour he served as the west coast sniper Course Manager at the Naval Special Warfare Center. He is Editor-in-Chief of SOFREP.com, and a New York Times best selling author (The Red Circle & Benghazi: The Definitive Report). His writing has been featured in print, and digital media worldwide. You can follow him on twitter here. “
If you are a voting member you might want to give his candidacy consideration , and be sure to check out his website for lots of cool posts on the Navy SEALs and all things military related .