“ On April 18, a new Washington Post/ABC News poll that showed 51% of Americans feel that guns in the home make it safer, compared to 29% who think otherwise. More telling is that fact that 51% of white middle class women agree with the sentiment about firearms making homes safer. Additionally, a Nexis search detailed that ABC News has yet to report this poll, and, with the exception of the Fix blog, the Post avoided the “guns make a home safer” findings.
So, will there a correction to Jill Filipovic, Amanda Marcotte, and Co. for trying to smear the NRA as the “domestic abuse lobby? The article by New York Times’ Michael Luo that set off this meretricious commentary on guns looks like to have been a smear too far. After all, it wasn’t “intense pressure” the gun lobby that killed Obama’s anti-gun agenda. It was white middle-class women, who liked their Second Amendment rights to be left untouched by big government.
Concerning the feminist left, last month Jill Filipovic, a liberal feminist, wrote for Al-Jazeera that:
The latest group to have their gun ownership rights championed by the NRA? Domestic abusers.
Forty percent of women who are murdered in the US are killed by intimate partners. Guns are the cause of more than two-thirds of those domestic violence homicides, killing more victims than all other weapons combined. When an abuser has access to firearms, his victim is eight times more likely to be killed by him. The simple presence of a gun in the home makes any woman 2.7 times more likely to be murdered. And an abuse victim having access to a gun does not make her any less to be killed by her partner.”
Tag Archive: ABC News
“If they killed him, then all hell would break loose.”
That’s what Anzor Tsarnaev, the father of Boston bomber Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, told ABC news.
In another conversation with the Associated Press, Anzor Tsarnaev added that his son was a, “true angel.”
Yeah Anzor, not so much.
While you can’t help but sympathize with any parent who finds out that his child has gone this far wrong, the reality is that his son murdered people and crippled others for life. There are other people who lost children, too. There are sons whose fathers will be crippled for life. There are mothers whose daughters are missing legs. There are parents who will never see their sons again because Anzor Tsarnaev’s son killed them.
Yet, he’s claiming that “all hell would break loose” if something happened to his son.”
” On Tuesday, Giffords and her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, launched their new gun-control campaign, Americans for Responsible Solutions, which will raise money and lobby on behalf of controlling gun violence. In announcing the group, and in the aftermath of the Connecticut shooting that left 20 children and six adults dead, Giffords simply told ABC News’s Diane Sawyer, “Enough.”
Her husband amplified her thoughts. “I’m hopeful that this time is different, and I think it is,” he said in an interview set to air on Tuesday night. “Twenty first-graders being murdered in their classrooms is a very personal thing for everybody.”
The clout and emotional appeal that Giffords carries, even two years after the shooting and despite a difficult recovery, is apparent. From her appearance at the Democratic National Convention in September to her statements at the trial of her would-be assassin, Jared Loughner, in November, she remains a powerful presence. “
Oh the left and their symbols . It is the only way they can manage to persuade anyone of their self-righteousness and have their way . Unfortunately for those of us who value reason as the desired standard of discourse the modern media age is tailor made for knee-jerk emotionalism .
The Oprahfication of American society is well on it’s way to ruining us all . Whether it rears it’s ugly head as the current war on boys and boyhood , the steadily growing government-facilitated dependence on the State , the current predilection to medicate our children into zombie-hood or the fact that one can’t make a move in this current environment without being pummeled silly under the impact of lawyers , the legal profession and “the authorities” in general , it all adds up to the same thing … the sissification of America in the name of ” progress” and a plea to the emotions and not the head .
If you want further proof of my insinuations look no further than the current political class and the bureaucrats riding their coattails . See any Andrew Jackson’s ? Any George Washington’s ? Any Teddy Roosevelt’s ? No , of course not . Why is that ? America in a few brief centuries has produced more great men and women than any nation would have a right to expect , but when did that species of American become extinct ?
- Gabrielle Giffords takes on the gun lobby (blogs.jta.org)
- Arizona marks 2 years since Giffords shooting (usatoday.com)
- Americans For Responsible Solutions: Gabby Giffords Announces Gun Control Group To Counter NRA (patdollard.com)
- Diane Sawyer To Interview Gabrielle Giffords On Two-Year Anniversary Of Tucson Shooting (huffingtonpost.com)
- Giffords Launches Pro-Gun Control Organization to Fight Gun Lobby (VIDEO) (guns.com)
- Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords launches gun control campaign (itv.com)
- First Word: Gabby Giffords takes on NRA (tv.msnbc.com)
- Giffords interview to air on shooting anniversary (boston.com)
- Giffords Makes a Push on Gun Control (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly to talk about Tucson shooting two years on (irishcentral.com)
” You know, Republicans, if you spent half as much time marketing good policy as you do bending over backwards to please your ideological opponents, we might actually have a deal worth talking about.
In addition to the basics, there are some other interesting facts to note about this deal.
ABC News reports:
But it also includes these:
- $430 million for Hollywood through “special expensing rules” to encourage TV and film production in the United States. Producers can expense up to $15 million of costs for their projects.
- $331 million for railroads by allowing short-line and regional operators to claim a tax credit up to 50 percent of the cost to maintain tracks that they own or lease.
- $222 million for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands through returned excise taxes collected by the federal government on rum produced in the islands and imported to the mainland.
- $70 million for NASCAR by extending a “7-year cost recovery period for certain motorsports racing track facilities.”
- $59 million for algae growers through tax credits to encourage production of “cellulosic biofuel” at up to $1.01 per gallon.
- $4 million for electric motorcycle makers by expanding an existing green-energy tax credit for buyers of plug-in vehicles to include electric motorbikes.
*Note the price tags above reflect estimated forgone tax revenue if current credits – which have been due to expire – are extended for one year as included in the Senate bill, per Joint Committee on Taxation.
Jim Pethokoukis writes:
What will Americans pay in taxes this year vs. last year in light of the fiscal cliff deal? Well, let’s run the numbers (with some help from JPMorgan):
– Payroll tax hike: $125 billion
– Income tax hike and the phaseout of exemptions: $35-50 billion
– Investment tax hike: $5 billion
– PPACA healthcare taxes: $38 billion
So that works out to roughly $220 billion, or 1.2% of GDP. It’s a deal that, as The Washington Post puts it, ”takes money out of the hands of many Americans, sucking it out of the economy and slowing economic activity.”
Illustration By Steve Sack
- ‘Cliff’ Deal Also Helps Hollywood, Railroads, Rum Producers (abcnews.go.com)
- Welcome to 2013 and your $200 billion tax hike – and more uncertainty (aei-ideas.org)
- ‘Cliff’ deal also helps Hollywood, railroads, rum producers (whas11.com)
- Fiscal cliff deal could cost Florida billions (bizjournals.com)
- Congressional Budget Office Shows Senate Bill Is $600 Billion Tax Hike (heritage.org)
- White House declares a victory (politico.com)
- Why the Obama tax hikes have only just begun (aei-ideas.org)
” America is racing toward the Jan. 1 fiscal cliff deadline when tax hikes and spending cuts automatically take effect. But the overwhelming news focus has been only on tax hikes as a solution to the problem. Since the election, ABC News has talked about raising taxes more than 17 times more than spending cuts.
The network isn’t alone, it was just the worst of the bunch. The Media Research Center’s Business and Media Institute analyzed evening news coverage of the budget battle and found both NBC and CBS also discussed taxes far more than spending – spinning the Capitol Hill battle into one where the liberal agenda of increased spending dominated. Overall, the networks focused more than twice as much on tax increases as they did on spending (29 minutes 31 seconds to 12 minutes 54 seconds). “
- Five Ways The Mainstream Media Screwed America And Kept Obama In Power (patdollard.com)
- ABC Pressed Boehner to Agree to Tax Hike, on Sunday Fail to Push Pelosi to Agree to Spending Cuts (newsbusters.org)
- Bozell:Time for Conservatives to Start Looking for a New Home (cornhusker4palin.newsvine.com)
- House GOP leadership purges conservatives (humanevents.com)
- Video: Geithner busted on “war savings” (hotair.com)
“Asked about the Fast and Furious
program at the Univision forum on
Thursday, President Obama falsely
claimed that the program began
under President George W. Bush.
“I think it’s important for us to
understand that the Fast and
Furious program was a field-
initiated program begun under the
previous administration,” the
president said. “When Eric Holder
found out about it, he discontinued
” ABC News breaks a story that one of the three featured speakers supposedly deprived of a job by Bain Capital is just a union negotiator who never worked for a Bain-financed company. The Democrat Party deliberately misrepresented steel union negotiator David Foster as someone who worked under the Romney-controlled Bain Capital.”
“SAN FRANCISCO — At an exclusive re-election fundraiser tonight, President Obama hobnobbed with 60 of his wealthiest supporters, including two figures at the center of the Solyndra loan controversy.”