We are creating an entire generation that has lost all respect for the sanctity of life .
” In modern culture, Grossman argued, the trend of displaying ultraviolence for entertainment—in movies, television shows, and video games—has had much the same effect, particularly with society’s youngest members.
The medical community would corroborate this observation in July 2000, when the leaders of the American Medical Association, the American Psychological Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry made a brief but potent joint statement for a Congressional health summit.
“At this time, well over 1,000 studies, including reports from the Surgeon General’s office, the National Institute of Mental Health, and numerous studies conducted by leading figures within our medical and public health organizations—our own members—point overwhelmingly to a causal connection between media violence and aggressive behavior in some children,” they wrote. “The conclusion of the public health community, based on over 30 years of research, is that viewing entertainment violence can lead to increases in aggressive attitudes, values and behavior, particularly in children.”
How can we expect otherwise in a society that idolizes the ” thug life ” , murders the unborn by the thousands , has abandoned the teachings of the church only to be replaced by worship of the State , a state mind you that slaughters the people with impunity through drone strikes , no-knock raids and endless wars ?
While school shootings were not a new phenomenon in the 1990s or even the 20th century, the size of the problem has indisputably swelled.
As David Kopel wrote in the Wall Street Journal in December, there were 18 recorded instances of “random mass shootings” in the 1980s, 54 in the 1990s, and 87 in the 2000s.
And Grossman, who tracks these events, he followed “On Killing” with the 1999 publication of a more targeted work, “Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill”, has noticed a pattern.
“The killers, they all had one thing in common: they dropped out of life, and they immersed themselves in the culture of violence,” he said.
The message hasn’t received the same sort of knee-jerk popularity that gun control has in the wake of recent tragedies, but Grossman said he is encouraged at small steps.”
From the statist point of view it is infinitely more palatable to blame an inanimate object , guns , than to do the soul-searching necessary to admit that all that they have been advocating for these past 5 decades has cheapened our lives and , rather than promote ” progress ” has had the exact opposite effect … a steady downward spiral towards barbarism . Welcome to the harvest of Hope and Change .
- LTC Dave Grossman (RET) (kennethshepherd.wordpress.com)
- The Unthinkable: Does Media Have an Effect? – Part 3 of a Series – Children Who Kill (horizonfamilysolutions.wordpress.com)
- Who Are the Enemies to Freedom? (iowntheworld.com)
- Gallup poll: 64 percent of Americans want school officials armed to protect children (dprogram.net)
- Guns Don’t Kill Mr. Statist Politician (redpillreport.net)
- Grossman: Gun divestment bill to be filed this week (patriotledger.com)
- Corruption fighter calls it quits in a town not quite ready for reform (suntimes.com)
- Who Protects Our Children? (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- Heartland Institute Experts React to President Obama’s Gun Control Proposals (prweb.com)