” One lawyer won acquittal for a Saudi man charged with carrying three firecracker-like devices on a plane, arguing he was a victim of hysteria over airport security after the Sept. 11 attacks. Another has managed to avert death sentences for some of the highest-profile criminals of our time, including the Unabomber and the gunman whose rampage injured former Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.
The team that will be led by Miriam Conrad, the chief federal public defender for Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island, got a major boost Monday with the addition of prominent San Diego lawyer and death penalty opponent Judy Clarke. Not that Conrad is considered any slouch.”
Tag Archive: Capital punishment
” Maryland’s Senate voted on Wednesday to repeal the death penalty, moving the state closer to becoming the sixth since 2007 to abolish capital punishment.
The vote in Maryland came amid deepening uncertainty over the death penalty, which was reinstated in many states after it was upheld as constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1976.”
- Maryland Senate votes to repeal death penalty (jurist.org)
- Maryland Senate Approves Measure to Repeal Capital Punishment (baltimorenewsjournal.com)
- Senate backs bill to abolish death penalty (times-news.com)
- Maryland moves close to abolishing death penalty (usnews.nbcnews.com)
“ Beijing - On Friday, the Chinese authorities aired on state TV four men convicted of murdering 13 Chinese sailors on the Mekong river in 2011. The two-hour special aired from Yunnan province on the Chinese Central Television (CCTV) began at 1:30 p.m.local time.It included interviews and a closing footage showing them walking to execution.Reuters reports the first convict was Naw Kham a citizen of Myanmar. The Guardian reports that state media identified the other three men as Hsang Kham from Thailand, Zha Xika from Laos and Yi Lai of “unknown origin.”
The men were sentenced to death after they were found guilty of intentional homicide, drug trafficking, kidnapping and hijacking. “
For the Chinese speakers among us here is video explaining the story of these pirates’ trial and execution .
Four Executed Over Mekong River Murder, Anger Over Pre-Parade
- China executes four foreign nationals convicted of Mekong river murders (guardian.co.uk)
- China executes 4 foreigners over Mekong River murders (panarmenian.net)
- China to execute Mekong killers (bbc.co.uk)
- China shows footage of men being led to execution (radionz.co.nz)
- China divided on TV ‘execution parade’: judicial resolve or crude voyeurism (guardian.co.uk)
- China executes four foreigners over Mekong murders (dailystar.com.lb)