” The US Navy said that a minesweeper that ran aground on a coral reef off the Philippines was a complete loss after announcing plans to dismantle it
US Pacific Fleet spokesman Captain Darryn James said there was a chance the USS Guardian might break up or sink if crews tried to remove it without taking it apart first.
Limiting damage to the coral, which was part of a national marine park, was important to the navy, James said.
“We really do care about being good stewards of the environment,” he said.”
Details on the USS Guardian’s history
- Stricken USS Guardian To Be Broken Up (gcaptain.com)
- Navy: Ship Run Aground is Complete Loss (wbko.com)
- Navy to Cut Up Ship that Ran Into Philippine Reef (theepochtimes.com)
- $277M USS Guardian is a complete loss: Navy plans to dismantle ship that ran aground in Pacific (odetocapitalism.com)
- USS Guardian Aground On Philippine Reef ‘Taking In Water’ (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- Swept Away (freebeacon.com)