A New Report Says They’re Fraught With Waste And Abuse And Have Whittled Away At Civil Liberties Protections.
” A domestic surveillance system established after the terrorist attacks of September 11 collects and shares intelligence on a mass scale about “the everyday activities of law-abiding Americans, even in the absence of reasonable suspicion,” according to a new report.
The report, released this month by the Brennan Center for Justice, a nonpartisan policy institute at NYU School of Law, found that law enforcement data sharing programs organized by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are fraught with waste and abuse and have whittled away at civil liberties protections while evading sufficient oversight.
Fusion centers collect information on “such innocuous and non-criminal activities as photography, looking through binoculars, and taking notes.”
Other activities collected by law enforcement officials and stored in fusion centers included:
- Individuals who stay at bus or train stops for extended periods while buses and trains come and go;
- Individuals who carry on long conversations on pay or cellular telephones;
- Individuals who order food at a restaurant and leave before the food arrives or who order without eating; and
- Joggers who stand and stretch for an inordinate amount of time. “
Tag Archive: Department of Homeland Security
REPUBLICAN REP. NOTICES IRS AGENTS TRAINING WITH AR-15S DURING DHS TOUR: ‘I’M LOOKING INTO THE ISSUE NOW’
” This little item could give the IRS’ whole “targeting” conservatives scandal a brand-new twist.
Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) tweeted that he observed IRS agents training with AR-15s when he toured the Department of Homeland Security”
” It looks like the requirement that the Border Patrol catch 90% of illegal crossers… has turned out to be evanescent…
Of course, the 90% “trigger” was never a barrier to legalization–illegal immigrants will get that more or less immediately under the Gang bill, or maybe as soon as Department of Homeland Security comes up with a border “plan.” The supposed “trigger” would only be hurdle if these amnestied legalized immigrants subsequently sought “green card” status, which would in turn open the possibility of citizenship. But it turns out even this half-fake lock-the-barn-door trigger doesn’t really trigger anything. If the DHS doesn’t meet the 90% goal, what happens? According to the NYT:
” If, after five years, border officials have not reached the surveillance and enforcement goals, the bill establishes a border commission to advise the Department of Homeland Security on how to reach its goals, with additional financing of up to $2 billion.”
That’s right. An honest to goodness commission with chairs and desks and water glasses and everything. Mickey Kaus was predicting all along that the only real border security measure would be a commission and he was proven right.”
Illustration by Gary Varvel
DHS Components Total Round Purchased In FY2010-2012 Total Inventory CBP 141,624,536 94,404,329 FLETC 61,131,009 18,797,942 FPS/NPPD 11,692,000 2,500,000 ICE 66,494,000 42,300,000 TSA 37,800,000 29,909,514 USCG 28,853,241 70,258,197 USSS 13,956,460 5,563,380 Total DHS 361,551,246 263,733,362
” I provided you a response from the Department of Homeland Security on Saturday concerning the large number of rounds of ammunition that they are soliciting for. I continue to leave it up to the reader to determine if they think DHS’ response is truthful or not. However, their response came just two days after they solicited for 360,000 more .40 caliber hollow point bullets. DHS told us these are for training purposes and, in fact, these are being sent to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia, New Mexico, which is the same location that 240,000 hollow points were sent to last month. However, I want to provide you with more details that DHS has put in print and ask some questions.
The current solicitation can be found on the Federal Business Opportunities website and you will notice that the “Bid MUST be good for 30 calendar days after close of Buy.” So this purchase is not one of those “over five years” kinds of purchase.
Several congressmen have pushed DHS on these purchases, which resulted in the response from DHS, including fifteen that banded together to get answers. Some of which were not addressed. “
- DHS to Buy 360,000 More Rounds of Hollow Point Ammunition (leaksource.wordpress.com)
- Is DHS Short Of Ammo Or Are They Sending it To The Cartels To Go With The Fast & Furious Weapons ? (youviewed.com)
- DHS Buys Another 360,000 More Rounds of Hollow Point Ammunition (thegatewaypundit.com)
- DHS Under Fire for Buying Another 360,000 Bullets ‘to save money’ (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- HOMEFRONT: DHS To Buy 360,000 More Rounds Of Hollow Point Ammunition (patdollard.com)
” The Department of Homeland Security is set to purchase a further 21.6 million rounds of ammunition to add to the 1.6 billion bullets it has already obtained over the course of the last 10 months alone, figures which have stoked concerns that the federal agency is preparing for civil unrest.
A solicitation posted yesterday on the Fed Bid website details how the bullets are required for the DHS Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Artesia, New Mexico.
The solicitation asks for 10 million pistol cartridge .40 caliber 165 Grain, jacketed Hollow point bullets (100 quantities of 100,000 rounds) and 10 million 9mm 115 grain jacketed hollow point bullets (100 quantities of 100,000 rounds).”
Are they shipping it to Mexico to supply the cartel’s Fast & Furious weapons ? WTF ?
- DHS adds another 200,000 rounds to stockpile (wnd.com)
- Homeland Security Hoarding Ammo, Depriving Police (patdollard.com)
- Feds to hold ammo advantage over states? (wnd.com)
- What’s Another 21.6 Million Rounds When You Already Have 1.6 Billion? (ncrenegade.com)
- Out of Ammo (powerlineblog.com)
- Something Stinks (youviewed.com)
” Last year, it was reported that theDepartment of Homeland Security had purchased 1.6 billion rounds of hollow point ammunition of various calibers for reasons that the agency refuses to reveal. On Wednesday, the DHS announced that it would acquire another 200,000 rounds from a company known as Evian Group, Inc.
The DHS put out a solicitation for the purchase on the FedBizOps.gov Web site on Dec. 17 for the agency’s Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, requesting .40 caliber hollow point rounds, Federal Ammunition of 1,000 rounds in 200 cases.
Not only is the reason for the agency’s stockpiling of nearly 2 billion rounds of ammo shrouded in mystery, but so too is the Evian Group. James Smith of Prepper Podcast did an investigation into the company and found some odd facts which he reported in an article on Thursday.
For one, “It seems that the Evian Group was formed on December 12, 2012, just 5 days before the announcement of the solicitation,” writes Smith.
The price that the agency paid for the rounds is suspect too, according to Smith.
“The contract for 200,000 rounds was $45,758, which boils down to about $0.21 per round. And to be quiet (sic) honest, that (is) a really good price. As in, unheard of good price.” “
- Did DHS Just Award an Ammunition Contract to a Shell Corporation? (activistpost.com)
- 6. Video: DHS Buys Even More Ammo- 200,000 Hollow-point bullets (12160.info)
- DHS Buys 200,000 More Rounds of Ammunition – [ prep 4 gun grab ?] (forum.prisonplanet.com)
- DHS Arms Itself to the Teeth While Obama Pushes for Gun Control (leaksource.wordpress.com)
”A grant program administered by the Department of Homeland Security has morphed from a fund designed to fight terror into a pork-barrel program that pads local governments’ budgets, according to a report to be released Wednesday by Sen. Tom Coburn (R., Okla.).
The report, titled “Safety at Any Price: Assessing the Impact of Homeland Security Spending in U.S. Cities,” focuses on Homeland Security’s Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI).
“Since 2003, DHS has spent $35 billion on grant programs that were intended to make Americans safer from terrorist attacks,” a spokesman for Sen. Coburn wrote in an email. “But DHS failed to establish goals or metrics to ensure that funds were used to make Americans safe and cannot say how much safer we are today after spending $35 billion.” “
- Zombie Apocalypse Singled Out In Tom Coburn Report On Homeland Security Waste (huffingtonpost.com)
- 10 Years of the Department of Homeland Security (triecker.wordpress.com)
- Homeland Security spent $430M on radios its employees don’t know how to use (arstechnica.com)
- Homeland Security is building a $4 billion 170-acre complex for 17,000 employees (a4cgr.wordpress.com)
- Domestic Spying Continued (youviewedblog.wordpress.com)
- 3 Reasons to Kill The Dept. of Homeland Security: It’s Unnecessary, Inefficient, & Expensive. (xrepublic.tv)
- Here’s What It Looks Like When You’re Entered Into A Department Of Homeland Security Data Fusion Center (businessinsider.com)
- Homeland Security Has Spent $430 Million on Radios Its Employees Don’t Know How to Use (propublica.org)
November 28, 2012 – There over 800 prison camps in the United States, all fully operational and ready to receive prisoners. They are all staffed and even surrounded by full-time guards, but they are all empty.
These camps are to be operated by FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) should Martial Law need to be implemented in the United States and all it would take is a presidential signature on a proclamation and the attorney general’s signature on a warrant to which a list of names is attached.
- CBS News Admits FEMA Camps Are Real (itmakessenseblog.com)
- Slow Gradual Collection of Americans Into Fema Camps? (vaticproject.blogspot.com)
- U.s. Marine Drill Sergeant Boasts of What They Will Do to Civilians Under Martial Law in the Usa – Termination of Civilians (you)! (animalsclubfreedom.typepad.com)
- NYT on Hurricane Sandy: We’re Doomed Without FEMA and Big Government (animalsclubfreedom.typepad.com)
- Camp FEMA Update: “We Feel Like We’re In a Concentration Camp” (marketdailynews.com)