” The proposal will allow a doctor to add a patient to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) without ever telling the patient he or she has been added.
There would be no due process requirement. Not all doctors will be able to do it with the same ease, but many will. Knowing a doctor could add him to a federal database as mentally ill without his knowledge could potentially dissuade a patient from going to the doctor in the first place to get help.
Worse, if the doctor does so and makes a mistake, the patient would have to actively work through the system to get himself removed — guilty before being proven innocent. In some states, should a doctor flag you as having mental illness without your knowledge, you may very well see the state come collect your previously purchased guns.”
- It’s Hard Not To Be Cynical About This Toomey/Manchin Deal (minx.cc)
- Heads Up: Will The Toomey-Manchin Proposal Allow Doctors to Block Your Right to Guns? (tammybruce.com)
- … the N.R.A. opposes Toomey-Manchin , and So Do I … (lakeerieconservative.wordpress.com)
- Will More Mental Health Diagnoses Lead to More Gun Confiscation? (breitbart.com)
- Grassley Proposal (onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com)
- The Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act (stoptheaclu.com)
- NRA Will Oppose Toomey-Manchin Gun Bill (pjmedia.com)
- Schumer-Toomey-Manchin Gun Control Bill: Cuts HIPAA Privacy for Mental Health Records (heritage.org)