” The Sheepshead fish (Archosargus probatocephalus), also known as “convict fish” because of its “prison stripes,” belongs to the family Sparidae which includes some even weirder fish. According to the Scientifiic American, some species of the family Sparidae experiment with forms of “LGBT” lifestyles that would shock anti-gay fundamentalists. Some are hermaphrodites while others change from female to male (progogyny), or from male to female (protandry).
Some members of the Sparidae family such as Salema porgy (Sarpa salpa), nicknamed “dreamfish” taste great, but you risk falling into a drug induced psychedelic trance if you eat the flesh. Scientific American reports that Salema porgy was used for recreational hallucinogenic purposes in the ancient Roman empire and was used in traditional Polynesian ceremonies.
Eating parts of Salema porgy, including the head, could cause a condition known as ichthyosarcotoxism or Ichthyoallyeinotoxism, a form of poisoning caused by toxins of the marine plankton Gambierdiscus toxicus. The poisoning, according to Scientific American, causes florid hallucinations and nightmares that could last several days.”
- ‘Joker Fish’ Has Human Teeth, Winning Smile (geek-news.mtv.com)
- This human-toothed fish won’t give you nightmares, but its cousin will (io9.com)
- The sheepshead fish has human teeth, but it’s okay because it won’t give you a psychedelic crisis (blogs.scientificamerican.com)
- The fish of nightmares (boingboing.net)
- The Sheepshead Fish is a Dental Nightmare (neatorama.com)