The Instructions/FAQ From NYS Troopers Web Page
” Gun owners in New York who don’t want their license information available to the public are facing a deadline to file an exemption form with local licensing authorities.
Starting Wednesday, the records of anyone who has asked to be exempt from the state Freedom of Information Law will be kept secret. But the information will be available for gun owners who haven’t acted.
The secrecy provision was included in January legislation that toughened New York gun laws to require registration of military-style weapons as well as pistols and limit the number of bullets allowed to be loaded into a clip or magazine.
* The form to request the exemption is available online and must be given to the local authority in charge of licensing. Anyone who doesn’t file by the initial deadline, including those getting new licenses, may still file in the future. Their records will be subject to FOIL requests in the meantime.”
The Form Itself Which You Can Download At The Link Below
For more information or to download a copy of the FOIL exemption form, click here.”
Note that the entire procedure is arbitrary and capricious and subject to the whim of your local licensing agent . You must list a reason why you feel that you should be granted your privacy rights . As usual the the whole business is stacked in favor of law enforcement and your application is subject to approval .
If you are not under an order of protection , sitting on a jury or a current or retired law enforcement officer you may not be able to maintain the privacy of your records . Read the app and give it a try . It will probably depend on the attitude of your local pistol licensing agent .
- Owners must file form or NY gun permit info will be public (northcountrypublicradio.org)
- Deadline for New Yorkers To File Gun Licensing Exemption (cbs6albany.com)
- NY Gun Owners Must File Form To Keep Permit Info Private (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Alert for NY Gun Owners: Opt-Out by May 15 (independentsentinel.com)
- New N.Y. gun law’s opt-out forms overwhelm clerks (usatoday.com)
- N.Y. county clerk set to block gun data (usatoday.com)
- Owners must file form or NY gun permit info public (newsday.com)