” Responding to Moore, guest S.E. Cupp explained that a gun registry would be a type of false presumption of guilt directed towards law abiding gun owners. She also called Moore out for labeling gun owners as pariahs, informing him that gun violence continues to drastically decline.”
Tag Archive: Gun violence
” Somehow, left-liberals have associated the cause of gun rights with white racism, when if anything it is gun control that has a racist legacy. In the United States, early gun laws targeted recently freed blacks, and open carry first became banned in California under Governor Ronald Reagan to disarm groups like the Black Panthers. Today, blacks and Hispanics are disproportionately subjected to humiliating stop-and-frisk searches in the name of gun control.
Perhaps the most telling data concerns the racial makeup of who goes to prison for gun violations.According to the U.S. Sentencing Commission, for Fiscal Year 2011, 49.6% of those sentenced to federal incarceration with a primary offense of firearms violations were black, 20.6% were Hispanic, and only 27.5% were white.
This is how gun laws actually work—those caught violating them go to prison. For the mere act of owning an illegal weapon—not necessarily for using it, not for threatening anyone with it, not for being irresponsible with it—people who have harmed no one are locked up in prison for years at a time. As with the rest of the criminal justice system, particularly the war on drugs, these laws disproportionately harm the poor and minorities. That is the inescapable reality of gun control.
It makes sense that blacks and others living in the inner city would rely more on private, illegal guns for self-defense. The police are unreliable at best in many of these communities. It also makes sense that minorities would be disproportionately hurt by these laws, because so many of the dynamics in play are the same as with the drug war—people are being punished for what they own, rather than what they have done to others; “
- US gun homicides at 20-year low (bbc.co.uk)
- Obama: ‘This was just the first round’ on trying to pass gun control measures (thehill.com)
- Gun Control Would Address Declining Crime Rates With Irrelevant Laws (reason.com)
- You Think Gun Control Laws Work? You’re a Special Kind of Stupid. (thiscrapistrue.wordpress.com)
- Statistics Gun Control Advocates Don’t Want to See (1800politics.com)
- Stossel on Gun Control: Federal Laws Won’t Stop Crazy People (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Kansas gun law under fire from US attorney general (sacbee.com)
- In Op-Ed, Biden fails the smell test when it comes to stating facts on guns (theseatonpost.com)
” It’s not just Pew. This Department of Justice report makes embarrassing reading for those who spend their time trying to make it appear as if America is in the middle of a gun-crime wave. The headlines:
- Firearm-related homicides declined 39%, from 18,253 in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011.
- Nonfatal firearm crimes declined 69%, from 1.5 million victimizations in 1993 to 467,300 victimizations in 2011.
- For both fatal and nonfatal firearm victimizations, the majority of the decline occurred during the 10-year period from 1993 to 2002.
Visually, the decline is particularly striking:
Lest you think that category an anomaly : Controlled by race , sex , region , and even non-fatalities doesn’t matter . The trend is the same . Down , down , down . Even school shooting deaths are down 33% since 1993 , despite what the media would have you believe .
” Some of the most compelling voices in the current debate over gun violence are those who have been touched by it, particularly the parents of the twenty children slain at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14. It’s strange, then, that one of those parents, Mark Mattioli, has simultaneously been white-washed and virtually blacked out of the media’s post-Newtown coverage. While endorsing the NRA’s plan to arm school personnel Tuesday, Mr. Mattioli urged people to put politics aside, but it appears as though his politics may be a factor in the media’s treatment of him.
At a press conference to roll out the NRA’s 225-page report on school safety, Mark Mattioli praised the plan, and said “I think politics needs to sort of be set aside here, and I hope this doesn’t you know, lead to name-calling. But rather, this is recommendations for solutions. Real solutions that will make our kids safer.””
Mr Mattioli’s speech before the Connecticut legislature
” Essentially, the gun debate is about our rights. Moreover, there are millions of guns out there already, as many as 300 million of all shapes and calibers. Gathering them all up or even registering them would be an impossible infringement of our rights. Accommodating the views of gun owners and pro-gun-control advocates is time-consuming and, ultimately, futile.
While the debate rages, many schools have become war zones, and all school zones are vulnerable. That is why the National Rifle Association’s recommendations are not so primitive as they have been depicted. In fact, the NRA’s recommendations are forward-looking and their opponents’ recommendations are timid and futile. One cannot eliminate guns from American society. Anyone who says he can is not serious.
If we want to get serious about gun violence we should take the NRA’s National School Shield program, announced Tuesday, to heart. Train and enable school personnel to carry firearms. In high-risk schools station police. The NRA’s 225-page report contains dozens of recommendations to improve safety in our schools. Teachers and school administrators have charge of the nation’s students by day. They ought to have the tools to protect them. There is no reason why teachers and administrators cannot responsibly carry guns. Those who do not want to carry guns do not have to be armed, but just a few trained people in a school will act as a deterrent to violence. The evidence of recent years is that schools are the target of violence. They need to be defended.”
- As Distrust of Bloomberg Grows Among Gun Owners, NRA’s National School Shield Is a Sensible Plan (nysun.com)
- NRA to announce gun recommendations to prevent violence in schools (wjla.com)
- NRA’s ‘Shield Program’ calls for more guns in schools (tv.msnbc.com)
- NRA Recommendations Guns For School Staffers To Improve Safety (albanytribune.com)
- Arm school staff to repel gun violence, National Rifle Association report says (thestar.com)
The Late Chris Kyle On Gun Violence, Gun Control, Veteran Life And SHOT Show 2013
” “If we find out they’re not partners, and if we find out they’re working against us, then we all ought to have a conversation as taxpayers about whether our dollars should be used for people who are not working to reduce gun violence.” That’s the threat issued by Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak (above) against gun and ammo makers who don’t tow the line laid down by The Mayors Against Illegal Guns. minnesota.publicradio.org reports that “Rybak told members of the City Council’s Public Safety and Civil Rights Committee that he and mayors from approximately 60 cities are taking a closer look at the companies that manufacture the guns and ammunition that cities buy for police officers . “
Typical statist scapegoating … blame the private sector for the failures of government policies .
We can’t keep the people safe so it must be … your fault .
- Sixty mayors to gang up on gun companies unless they stop defending their rights (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Dem mayors to ‘grade’ gun-makers (politico.com)
- Mpls. Mayor Rybak Has Strong Message for Makers of Guns and Ammunition (kstp.com)
- Mayors to ‘grade’ gun-makers (oddonion.com)
- Mayors Deciding What to Do With Gun Manufacturers If They Don’t Comply With Gun Laws – This Is Good! (bonjublog.com)
- Obama’s Delight: Mayors prepare boycott of gun mfgs. in order to push gun control (therightofway.net)
- Sylvester Stallone Trips Over ‘Assault Weapon’ Media Misinformation (breitbart.com)
“If lawmakers want to curb gun violence, they must begin not with laws aimed at limiting the use of weapons, but with the state of mind of the people who use them.
That was the message many state legislators took away Thursday from a Maine Sheriff’s Association training session held at the Senator Inn & Spa. The session aimed to provide an overview of issues at the heart of the ongoing gun control debate.
Randall Liberty, Kennebec County’s sheriff and the association vice president, singled out mental health — not guns — as the key to reducing violence related to shootings.
Sen. Roger Katz, R-Augusta, who held and examined a variety of rifles and guns with other legislators, said after the training that the Legislature must get beyond discussion about the danger of particular firearms to improve safety.
“The harder work is to take a hard look at our mental health system and see if we’re really getting at the root,” Katz said. “
- Milwaukee Co. Sheriff Calls Gun Control Plan Meaningless (wsaw.com)
- Linn Co. sheriff letter to VP Biden backs gun rights (nwcn.com)
- Sheriffs and state push back against gun control (mysanantonio.com)
- Canyon County sheriff speaks out against gun proposals (ktvb.com)
- Some Oregon sheriffs are embarrassing us (blueoregon.com)
- Sheriffs and state push back against gun control (sfgate.com)
- Joe Carr, Tennessee Legislator, Proposes Gun Control Law Ban (huffingtonpost.com)
- In rural America, some sheriffs vow to defy Obama on gun control (news.yahoo.com)
” It would be interesting to look at the homicide rate for Obama voters and Romney voters and that is doable on a community level. But for the moment let’s take a look at the big picture. As discussed in my previous article, “America Doesn’t Have a Gun Problem, It Has a Gang Problem“, gun violence is concentrated in urban areas where most victims and shooters have existing criminal records.
Not only is gang violence dramatically higher in cities compared to surrounding areas, but 60 percent of U.S. firearm homicides happen in the 62 cities of the country’s 50 largest metro areas.
In the 2012 election, Obama won 70% of the vote in cities. He won the plurality of votes in every major city with the exception of Jacksonville and Salt Lake City. In some of the biggest cities he won 85% of the votes.
These are the cities where gun violence rates are the highest in the country. Often, the higher the gun violence rates, the bigger the margin of victory for Obama, as documented in my article, America Doesn’t Have a Gun Problem, It Has a Gang Problem above.
It’s quite clear that America does not have a gun violence problem. Obamerica does.“
- Hussein Obama? – About That Gun Control ….. (jericho777.wordpress.com)
- Drugs, gangs blamed for Okla. City homicide spike (sfgate.com)
- Facts About Gun Deaths (independentsentinel.com)
- Guest Commentary: How we can reduce gun violence and suicide (denverpost.com)
- Shyne Urges President Obama To “Do Something” About Gun Violence In Chicago (hiphopwired.com)
- Now We Talk Gun Control Because Of The Suburbs? (whocaresinthebigcity.wordpress.com)
- Happy New Year! Chicago Murder Tally Hits 500 for 2012 (givemeliberty01.com)
- Facts Anti-Gun Advocates Don’t Want You to Know (godfatherpolitics.com)
- America Doesn’t Have a Gun Problem, It Has a Gang Problem (godgutsandoldglory.wordpress.com)
“As soon as tomorrow, President Obama will announce his administration’s initial steps for dealing with gun violence. It is expected that he will propose measures for congressional action. But recognizing that most legislative proposals will attract powerful resistance, including from some in his own party, the president has indicated that he is prepared to act unilaterally. “My starting point is not to worry about the politics,” the president said. “My starting point is to focus on what makes sense, what works.”
Of course we should all want our president focused on what works. We have more than enough dysfunctional and counter-productive federal policies in place, thanks to both Congress and the president. But there is one consideration that is even more important than whether an executive action will work to reduce gun-related violence: whether the president has the constitutional authority to implement it.
The obvious constraint on executive actions relating to guns is the Second Amendment. It is a constraint that applies equally to Congress and to state and local governments. Though the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller made clear that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to bear arms, it left unresolved whether particular regulations on gun ownership and gun use are consistent with that right. Both the president and Congress will get an earful on this topic over the coming weeks and months.”
Illustration By AF Branco
- Idaho delegation weighs in on Obama gun proposals (ktvb.com)
- GOP congressman threatens impeachment if Obama uses executive action for gun control (dailycaller.com)
- ‘We’re not going to roll over and play dead’ on gun control, Paul vows; GOP stresses 2nd Amendment (whas11.com)
- Perry: 2nd Amendment trumps Obama, any president (khou.com)
- Executive Orders Explained for Low-Information Voters (rushlimbaugh.com)
- Obama Signs 23 Executive Orders On Guns (ConservativeActionAlerts.com)
- Goodlatte: If President Exceeds His Authority, Congress Will Respond Strongly (cnsnews.com)
- Texas Representative Threatens Obama Impeachment Over Guns (personalliberty.com)
” Members of the 113th Congress introduced 10 bills on Thursday relating to gun violence, most of which came from Democrats seeking new restrictions on gun ownership.
The flurry of legislative proposals show that members are likely to push the issue in the wake of the December shooting at a Connecticut elementary school that left 20 children dead.
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), whose husband was shot to death in 1993, introduced four of the bills. The congresswoman has vowed to seek changes in federal law in response to the school shooting. “
- DeGette Introduces Gun Control Bill That Would Ban Large Magazines (denver.cbslocal.com)
- An Atheist’s Thoughts on: Monetization and Over Reaction after a Tragedy (allthatsevil.wordpress.com)
- New Congress Wasting No Time, Introduces 10 Gun Control Bills (voicerussia.com)
- Should lawmakers reign in gun ownership? (kitv.com)
- Erik Garcés: Arguing With Statists | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ten New Gun Bills Introduced On First Day Of Congress (freedomoutpost.com)
It is good to remember that the bulk of murders committed in the US are criminals/thugs killing each other and not preying on the innocent . That being said it is also well to acknowledge that a very substantial portion of the criminal murders involve the drug trade . Just as gangsters shot up each other and the occasional bystander during prohibition , gang-bangers and criminals uphold those traditions today in the battle for turf in the drug trade .
” Nor is there any certainty that marginal reductions in gun ownership would bring matching reductions in the murder rate. Brazil, for example, has a murder rate more than four times as high as the U.S., with less than 10% of the gun ownership that we have. In other words, it’s possible that appreciably reducing gun murders might require a truly huge (and unrealistic) reduction in gun ownership. Now, if the U.S. banned gun ownership, and confiscated all the guns that people currently own, it would probably be very effective. But this is almost certainly politically infeasible, and if somehow the 14th Amendment were repealed and this law were passed, it would cause violent civil unrest. Additionally, lots of people could hide their guns. The effort required to confiscate them would be likely to turn our country into a police state. So universal gun confiscation is out. “
- New Atlantic column: Gun control is good, but ending the War on Drugs is even better (noahpinionblog.blogspot.com)
- Gov. Cuomo Says New York May Confiscate all Assault Weapons. (offgridsurvival.com)
- Gun Owners Must Go on the Offensive! Now! (survivalist.wordpress.com)
- The Anti-Gun Movement Is Doomed (lewrockwell.com)
- How not to argue for gun control (weeklybraindump.wordpress.com)
- Why the Gun Control Movement Is Doomed (teapartyeconomist.com)
- Anti-Gun Advocates are Out for Blood (godfatherpolitics.com)
” Gun crime has almost doubled since Labour came to power as a culture of extreme gang violence has taken hold.
The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year – a rise of 89 per cent.
In some parts of the country, the number of offences has increased more than five-fold.
In eighteen police areas, gun crime at least doubled. “
- Gun Control INCREASES Gun Crime (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- UK Gun Crime Up 35% (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- Once more, with feeling: More guns = less crime (hotair.com)
- Gun-related Violent Crimes Drop As Sales Soar In Virginia (libertycrier.com)
- Surprise: More guns = less crime for DC? (theblaze.com)
- Mystery: Virginia gun violence falls as gun sales soar (hotair.com)