” Arizona lawmakers, stepping into the contentious national gun control debate, approved a controversial measure on Tuesday mandating that cities and counties resell firearms turned in during gun buyback programs rather than melt them down.
The Republican-controlled Arizona state Senate voted 18-12 to no longer allowed firearms to be destroyed by local municipalities, saying it was a waste of taxpayer money. The state House approved the bill in March.
The measure must now be signed or vetoed by Republican Governor Jan Brewer, a staunch gun rights advocate. A spokesman for the governor declined comment on the fate of the legislation late on Tuesday.”
Good for Arizona taxpayers . In this time of chronic budget deficits it is insane for municipalities to spend hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars for guns that are going to be destroyed .
- State senators ban cities’ destroying weapons (yumasun.com)
- Arizona lawmakers want cities to sell guns from buyback programs (news.yahoo.com)
- Lawmakers: Let cops decide fate of buyback guns ()
- Toy Gun Buyback Plan May Go Forward (fox2now.com)
- Phoenix Gun Buyback Program Details to be Announced Today at 10 a.m. (iamphx.org)