Tag Archive: John Kerry
BECK BREAKS EXCLUSIVE INFORMATION ON SAUDI NATIONAL ONCE CONSIDERED A PERSON OF INTEREST IN BOSTON BOMBINGS
” “While the media continues to look at what the causes were of these two guys, there are, at this hour, three people involved,” he said. “The first one is the one we are going to address.”
Beck proceeded to highlight the background of the Saudi national first identified as a “person of interest” in the Boston bombings, Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi, noting that the the NTC issued an event file calling for his deportation using section 212, 3B which is proven terrorist activity.
“We are not sure who actually tagged him as a ’212 3B,’ but we know it is very difficult to charge someone with this — it has to be almost certain,” Beck explained. “It is the equivalent in civil society of charging someone with premeditated murder and seeking the death penalty — it is not thrown around lightly.”
Beck continued, noting that after Secretary of State John Kerry met with Saudi Foreign Minister Saud on Tuesday, the FBI began backtracking on the Saudi national from suspect, to person of interest, to witness, to victim, to nobody.
Then, on Wednesday, President Obama had a “chance” encounter with Saudi Foreign Minister Saud and Saudi Ambassador Adel al-Jubeir.
Congressman Duncan has detailed information about the Saudi national in his possession, and he and other members of the House Homeland Security Committee have sent a formal letter of request (which we have a copy of) to Napolitano for a classified briefing on the Saudi national and the deportation order.
Beck proceeded to highlight more key points: The Saudi national was allegedly once flagged on a terror watch list and granted a student visa without being properly vetted.”
* EXCLUSIVE: KEY CONGRESSMEN REQUEST CLASSIFIED BRIEFING ON SAUDI ‘PERSON OF INTEREST’ IN BOSTON BOMBING
” Secretary of State John Kerry told the press in Beijing that he discussed with Chinese government officials investing in America’s infrastructure. Kerry called the security concerns “very, very few; very, very little.”
“We welcome Chinese investment in the United States. And a very, very small percentage of investment is subject to a process where we have a security evaluation because of the nature of the business or the particular location. But it’s very, very few; very, very little. And obviously, there are sometimes concerns when there’s a state ownership of a particular business because that raises a different set of considerations,” Kerry said, in response to a question about what he said to encourage Chinese investment in America.”
- UPDATE: Kerry “Welcomes” Chinese Government Investment In America’s Infrastructure… (redflagnews.com)
- US, China agree to work together on cyber security – Reuters (reuters.com)
- US eyes better relationship with China: secretary of state (wantchinatimes.com)
- Unreal: Kerry offers U.S. missile defense concession to China… (redflagnews.com)
- Seeking calm in Koreas, US looks again to China (sfgate.com)
” Tehran’s intercession in the Korean crisis on the side of its ally in Pyongyang was predictable, even though the US preferrs to ignore the close interrelations between the two allies.
And so, on Friday, April 5, Deputy Chief of Staff of Iran’s Armed Forces Brig. Gen. Masoud Jazayeri stepped forward to point the finger at Washington:
[“The presence of the Americans in [South] Korea has been the root cause of tensions in this sensitive region in the past and present. The US and its allies will suffer great losses if a war breaks out in this region,” he said, adding for good measure: “Independent countries will not submit to the US mischief. The time for Washington’s bullying and extortion is long past.”
The inevitable convergence of the Korean and Iranian crises confronts America’s three top officials, President Barack Obama, Secretary of State John Kerry and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, with their most challenging international test.
Kerry would be well advised to take a break from his Sisyphean efforts to crack the latest of umpteen Israel-Palestinian disputes, call off his weekend appointments with Israeli and Palestinians leaders and instead fly to Moscow and Beijing.
There, he could start bargaining with Russian and Chinese rulers for preliminary understandings with Washington on Iran and Syria that would make it worth their while to use their leverage for bringing the out-of-control North Korean firebrand to heel.
So long as the Obama administration sticks to its current separate policies on Syria and Iran, Iran and Korea, Moscow and Beijing won’t lift a finger to apply the brakes to Kim Jong-Un before he drives the world to catastrophe. “
Illustration by Dana Summers
- Kim Jong-Un’s Wife On Nuclear Threats: ‘This Isn’t The Man I Was Forced To Marry’ (theonion.com)
- Iran lines up behind North Korea, warns the US of “great losses” (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Crackpot North Korea leader Kim Jong-un could nuke UK if missile claims are true, PM David Cameron warns (thesun.co.uk)
- Lunch With the Ft – Kim Jong-un (aangirfan.blogspot.com)
- Iran’s commander warns US over any possible war on Korean peninsula (en.trend.az)
- Is North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un’s Young Age A Factor In Today’s Korean Peninsula Tensions? (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- Disarmed despots are soon-to-be-dead despots Iran, North Korea Learn Lessons From Gaddafi – Nuke Up Fast (countdowntozerotime.org)
” Ten years ago, along with three-quarters of the American people, including the men just appointed as President Obama’s secretaries of state and defense, I supported the invasion of Iraq. A decade on, unlike most of the American people, including John Kerry and Chuck Hagel, I’ll stand by that original judgment.
Three weeks after Operation Shock and Awe began, the early bird naysayers were already warning of massive humanitarian devastation and civil war. Neither happened. Over-compensating somewhat for all the doom-mongering, I wrote in Britain’s Daily Telegraph that “a year from now Basra will have a lower crime rate than most London boroughs.” Close enough. Major-General Andy Salmon, the British commander in southern Iraq, eventually declared of Basra that “on a per capita basis, if you look at the violence statistics, it is less dangerous than Manchester.”
Ten years ago, expert opinion was that Iraq was a phony-baloney entity imposed on the map by distant colonial powers. Joe Biden, you’ll recall, advocated dividing the country into three separate states, which for the Democrats held out the enticing prospect of having three separate quagmires to blame on Bush, but for the Iraqis had little appeal. “As long as you respect its inherently confederal nature,” I argued, “it’ll work fine.” As for the supposedly secessionist Kurds, “they’ll settle for being Scotland or Quebec.” And so it turned out. The Times of London, last week: “Ten Years After Saddam, Iraqi Kurds Have Never Had It So Good.” In Kurdistan as in Quebec, there is a pervasive unsavory tribal cronyism, but on the other hand, unlike Quebec City, Erbil is booming.”
” Secretary of State John Kerry had hoped to offer considerably more aid to Egypt than the $250 million he announced during his trip to Cairo but was blocked by Congress, House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce (R-Calif.) said.
“This is not the aid package that the administration wanted to announce,” Royce told The Hill. The administration wanted to release a “larger sum,” but bowed to the wishes of Royce’s committee as well as congressional appropriators, he said.
Royce wouldn’t say how much Kerry had hoped to announce, but the State Department has been pressing Congress to greenlight $450 million in direct aid since last fall.
“Our approach is not the full-throttle administration approach of delivering all the aid that they wanted to deliver, but rather a measured approach of tying tranches to results as it pertains to the peace treaty with Israel, to cooperation with respect to smuggling [into Gaza] and with respect to economic reforms to guarantee civil rights and the rule of law within Egypt,” he said. “That’s the pressure that we’re applying.” “
- Congress blocked Kerry from offering more aid to Egypt (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Congress blocked Kerry from offering more aid to Egypt (iowntheworld.com)
- Royce looks to check Obama’s ‘zeal for the deal’ on Iran, North Korea (thehill.com)
- Congress blocked Kerry from offering more aid to Egypt (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- John Kerry releases $250m in US aid to Egypt as reward for political reforms (guardian.co.uk)
- Kerry: US giving $450 million to Egypt (boston.com)
” John Kerry just spit in the eye of the American people. For the past month we have been bombarded with Obama and his administration predicting Armageddon due to the sequester.
The American people were supposed to be looking at cutbacks and layoffs, long lines at the airports, no more food inspections, and children starving in the streets! Not to mention we haven’t enough money to send the aircraft carrier U.S. Truman to the Persian Gulf.Well that was last week. I guess we found some spare change in an old suit because John Kerry just gave $250 million to Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood this weekend! Wow! Think of the kids that could have fed
Just after the delivery of our $213 million dollar gift of F-16’sto the Muslim Brotherhood, guess who was invited over for tea? None other than Ahmadinejad who received the full red carpet treatment from Morsi. What was he doing? Picking out which jets he wanted sent to Iran? Perhaps they were comparing notes on their hatred of Israel calling the Israeli people “descendants of apes and pigs” and saying that Egyptian children should be “nursed” on “hatred for Israel”. “
” U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says Washington will provide Egypt with immediate financial aid because of the nation’s “extreme needs.” Kerry announced the deal after meeting Sunday with Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi. Cairo is the first stop in the Arab world for Kerry as he makes his inaugural trip as the top American diplomat.
Secretary of State Kerry says the United States will make $190 million available immediately from a promised $450-million package for budget support. He also pledged $60 million toward a new enterprise fund.”
- Kerry: US to Release Millions in Aid to Egypt (voanews.com)
- John F. Kerry gives Egypt $250 million (amresolution.com)
- US to Give Egypt $250M More in Aid (foxnews.com)
- U.S. To Release Millions In Aid To Egypt, Says Kerry (eurasiareview.com)
- Kerry says US releasing millions in aid to Egypt (cnsnews.com)
- Kerry Says U.S. to Release $190 Million of Economic Aid to Egypt (bloomberg.com)
- Kerry: US To Release Millions In Aid To Egypt (thetruthsoldier.com)
He can't even be trusted with a gun
” Kerry addressed a town hall meeting Tuesday in a packed Internet cafe during a nine-country dash through Europe and the Middle East. The trip is Kerry’s first as secretary of state.
At the town hall, Kerry urged Germans to be tolerant, noting that in America, ‘you have a right to be stupid.’
‘In America, you have a right to be stupid, if you want to be,’ he said. ‘And you have a right to be disconnected to somebody else if you want to be. And we tolerate that – we somehow make it through that.”
Is Lurch auditioning for Joe Biden’s job ?
Posted by John Moser
” Big news this morning from the Boston Globe. During the campaign John Kerry had consistently refused to release his records from Yale University, along with his records of…well, just about everything. Today, however, we understand why: his grades were on par with–if not actually somewhat lower than–those earned by George W. Bush.
The transcript shows that Kerry’s freshman-year average was 71. He scored a 61 in geology, a 63 and 68 in two history classes, and a 69 in political science. His top score was a 79, in another political science course. Another of his strongest efforts, a 77, came in French class.
- John Kerry ‘D’ Student Scientist Or Something (youviewed.com)
- Kerry: Americans Have Right to Be Stupid if They Want (israelnationalnews.com)
- Kerry regales Berliners with tales of divided city (omaha.com)
- THIS MUST BE MORE OF THAT “SMART DIPLOMACY” WE WERE PROMISED: John Kerry has suffered his first gaf… (pjmedia.com)
- U.S. Secretary Of State John Kerry Avoids The Issue Of The Falklands In London Talks (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- John Kerry Tells World That United States Congress Greater Threat To Foreign Policy Than China, Middle East… (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- Kerry Stops In Berlin On European Tour (npr.org)
- Kerry Takes Case On Syria To Europe, Mideast (npr.org)
” I can’t say I was surprised when I read, via a Drudge link, that John Kerry made his first foreign policy speech as secretary of State on the heavyweight scientific subject of climate change (the perils thereof, of course).
But I did have a chuckle, remembering that sometime during or after the 2004 presidential campaign it was revealed that Kerry did even more poorly at Yale than the supposedly dopey George W. Bush. In fact, the former Massachusetts senator received four “Ds” in his freshman year, including one in geology.
We can assume that our new Sec’y of State is not a science whiz. Nevertheless, Mr. Kerry is apparently certain that anthropogenic global warming is a great danger to the human race and should be the object of a major international effort.
Why does he think so? Because he assumes the vast majority of scientists say so, I would imagine. And also because that’s what thebien pensant think and there is no one more orthodox in his views than John Kerry.
A recent survey of 1077 professional engineers and geoscientists reported by Investor’s Business Daily gives quite a different picture, however: “… it turns out that only 36% believe that human activities are causing Earth’s climate to warm.” Indeed, if you read this study you find that there has been a shift among scientists and engineers away from AGW. And this is leaving out whether warming is ultimately good or bad, that the polar ice cap has been growing by leaps and bounds and that polar bear population is exploding, etc., etc.”
Here is a bit of seer Kerry’s nonsense from a few years back … a scientist he’s not …
- John Kerry’s Grand Tour: Priorities For Europe – OpEd (eurasiareview.com)
- So Apparently Gigolo John Kerry is a Scientist Now (pjmedia.com)
- Kerry: The un-Hillary (politico.com)
- John Kerry’s “Soft Power” – OpEd (eurasiareview.com)
- John Kerry Scores Big Win In Buffett-Heinz Deal (huffingtonpost.com)
- John Kerry to embark on ‘listening tour’ of Europe and Middle East (telegraph.co.uk)
” In just two months, Mr. Cruz, 42, has made his presence felt in an institution where new arrivals are usually not heard from for months, if not years. Besides suggesting that Mr. Hagel might have received compensation from foreign enemies, he has tangled with the mayor of Chicago, challenged the Senate’s third-ranking Democrat on national television, voted against virtually everything before him — including the confirmation of John Kerry as secretary of state — and raised the hackles of colleagues from both parties.
He could not be more pleased. Washington’s new bad boy feels good.
“I made promises to the people of Texas that I would come to Washington to shake up the status quo,” he said in e-mailed answers to questions, in lieu of speaking. “That is what I intend to do, and it is what I have done in every way possible in the responsibilities that have been granted to me.”
In a body known for comity, Mr. Cruz is taking confrontational Tea Party sensibilities to new heights — or lows, depending on one’s perspective. Wowed conservatives hail him as a hero, but even some Republican colleagues are growing publicly frustrated with a man who has taken the zeal of the prosecutor and applied it to the decorous quarters of the Senate.”
- A very junior senator delivers a jolt (staradvertiser.com)
- Senators wary of combative Cruz (politico.com)
- Sen. Ted Cruz Is ‘Cruz-ing’ (usnews.com)
- How Dare Ted Cruz? (commentarymagazine.com)
- THE NEW MCCARTHYIST: Cruz Rocks The Senate (huffingtonpost.com)
- Let’s All Sail on the ‘Ted Cruz’ Ship from Texas (godfatherpolitics.com)
” In an interview with Israel’s Channel 2 TV, Mohammad Reza Heydari, the former Iranian consul in Oslo who resigned and obtained political asylum there three years ago, said that ”If Iran is given more time, it will acquire the knowledge necessary to build a nuclear bomb within a year.” Asked whether it would use the bomb against Israel, he said: “If Iran gets to the point where it has an atomic bomb, it will certainly use it, against Israel or any other [enemy] country.”
Regime leaders “believe that when they acquire a nuclear bomb, [others] will start to behave toward them as they do toward North Korea,” said Heydari.
…so in essence the Clinton Admin’s pandering to North Korea, much of it perpetrated by John Kerry, has actually paved the way for Iran’s rush to acquire the bomb. “
Illustration By Cox & Forkum
- Israeli minister welcomes report of huge blast at Iran nuclear plant (timesofisrael.com)
- Ex-Iranian diplomat warns Israel: If Iran gets the bomb, it will fire on you (timesofisrael.com)
- Iran official says attack on Syria is attack on Iran (foxnews.com)
- ‘Iran would definitely use nuclear weapons against Israel’ (israelmatzav.blogspot.com)
” Much has been written so far about the choices that President Barack Obama made for his second term cabinet. His new appointees—Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) as secretary of state, White House Chief of Staff Jack Lew to Treasury, and former Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) as secretary of defense—are people who have played a key role in Obama’s election or first term administration and are close friends of the president.
As president-elect, FDR picked a cabinet exclusively composed of people who were closes associates from New York or politicians who had helped him win his fight for the Democratic nomination or the general election in 1932.”
- Obama’s cabinet shaping up to be a boys club (edition.cnn.com)
- Obama chooses advisers who agree with him gasp! (sacbee.com)
- Obama deflects criticism about lack of diversity (cnsnews.com)
- Much Ado about Nothing on Obama’s White Guy Appointees (examiner.com)
- Second-term Obama will play defense (cnn.com)
- Crony capitalism: Obama Going for Gun Control with Tactic Used to Pass Obamacare (gds44.wordpress.com)
- ‘The Daily Show’ on President Obama’s cabinet appointments (video) (washingtonpost.com)
- Stewart Shreds ‘All-White’ Obama Cabinet Controversy: A Black Guy ‘Appears To Be Running’ The Show (mediaite.com)
NBC: Say, This 2nd-Term Transition Has Really Been An “Unforced Error,” Huh? Update: Rangel Calls It “Embarrassing As Hell”
” With that in mind, should we be surprised that his second-term Cabinet rollout has produced embarrassment and backtracking? Let’s not forget that his first Cabinet rollout produced the same kind of disorganization when it became clear that no one was vetting potential nominees, or at least not vetting them successfully.
After all, when Ruth Marcus at the Washington Post is skewering a Democratic President for a lack of diversity, you know something has run off the rails:
The face of power that President Obama has chosen to present to the country and the world with his second-term Cabinet picks is striking — except for the African American president at the top of the pyramid — for its retro look, white and male. It’s “Mad Men” Goes to Washington, except Peggy’s leaving.
On the foreign policy team, white guy for secretary of state, white guy for defense secretary, white guy for CIA. For Treasury secretary, white guy. Obama’s replacement as chief of staff — as yet unnamed, but the rumor mill names no one but . . . white guys.
To be clear: I’ve got nothing against white guys. Some of my best husbands are white guys. White guys get to be secretary of state, too, and John Kerry will be the first in 16 years. But to look at the most important jobs in the government, in 2013, and see such lack of diversity is just so drearily disappointing. …
The White House will point to women in other Cabinet positions — although one, Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, has just announced her resignation — and to women in sub-Cabinet roles. Okay, but State, Defense and Treasury, along with Justice, are the Big Boy jobs. It matters if some of those boys are girls. It sends a disturbing signal when they’re not.
- Obama Cabinet shuffle taking shape (sfgate.com)
- Hilda Solis resigns as labor secretary; some others in Cabinet to stay on – Washington Post (washingtonpost.com)
- One Less Woman In Obama’s Cabinet: Hilda Solis Quits (theatlanticwire.com)
- Hilda Solis leaves Labor Department (politico.com)
” She grappled with trying to bolster the U.S. workforce at a time of fiscal crisis and recovery from recession. “There is still much to do, but we are well on the road to recovery, and middle-class Americans know the president is on their side,” she said.
Obama, in a statement, called her a “tireless champion for working families.”
So far, Obama has picked white males for the three biggest Cabinet positions – Senator John Kerry to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of state and former Senator Chuck Hagel as defense secretary. He was due to announce Jack Lew as treasury secretary on Thursday, a source said.
Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and a close confidante of Obama, withdrew her name last month from consideration for the secretary of state post in the face of what promised to be a contentious Senate confirmation battle. “
- Obama to name Jack Lew Treasury secretary as Solis resigns from Labor (denverpost.com)
- Obama Labor Secretary Quits (voicerussia.com)
- One Less Woman In Obama’s Cabinet: Hilda Solis Quits (theatlanticwire.com)
- Latina pioneer Solis resigning as labor secretary (reuters.com)
- Lew ‘picked to lead US Treasury’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Hilda Solis leaves Labor Department (politico.com)
- Solis resigns as labor secretary (usatoday.com)
“ Isn’t this pushing a jinx? If Senate Republicans insist on having Hillary Clinton testify before allowing John Kerry’s confirmation to proceed, aren’t they risking a torn ACL or turf toe for the outgoing Secretary of State?
Clinton has pledged to remain in the job until Kerry is confirmed, which Obama said he was confident would happen “quickly.” The Senate is expected to take up Kerry’s nomination in early January, but multiple Republican senators have already said they won’t agree to a vote on Kerry’s nomination until Clinton testifies about the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi. Illness and a concussion has prevented Clinton from appearing thus far.
Clinton promised to appear before Congress at one point, but the State Department backpedaled from that position quickly after it became public. State then said that Clinton couldn’t testify until after Congress received the report from the Accountability Review Board’s investigation into Benghazi, which they hinted Congress might not see for another 90 days — or possibly never see in its entirety. They got the ARB report last week, at which point State announced the resignations of four officials who never actually resigned at all. Accountability! “
- GOP Senators Will Not Confirm John Kerry as Secretary of State Until Hillary Clinton Testifies On Benghazi (princevega.com)
- Senate Republicans refuse to confirm John Kerry until Hillary Clinton testifies about Benghazi (righttruth.typepad.com)
- Senate Republicans to Hold Kerry’s State Nomination Until Hillary Clinton Testifies on Benghazi (pjmedia.com)
- Report: GOP senators won’t confirm Kerry until Clinton testifies on Benghazi (redalertpolitics.com)
- Senate Republicans Refuse To Confirm Kerry Until Hillary Testifies About Benghazi (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
” According to the Sun Times, sources are saying that Obama has chosen the Massachusetts Senator to replace outgoing Secretary Hillary Clinton. It was widely speculated that Kerry would get the nod after Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, removed her name from consideration earlier this week.”
Illustration By Michael Ramirez
” Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) is the clear favorite to succeed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with Susan Rice no longer in the running.
While Obama has yet to make a decision on who would replace Clinton, Kerry and Rice had always been seen as the top candidates. With Rice out of the picture, many political observers believe the job is Kerry’s to lose.
“If I were to be in Vegas or at off-track betting or at a cocktail party, I’d say that my sense is that indicators point to him,” said a former Foreign Service Officer who’s close to Rice. “The president has known him for a long, long time . . .They’ve worked together very closely on everything from [nuclear disarmament] to confirmation hearings. They worked closely in the debate prep and so on.”
ABC on Friday reported Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick is already making plans to fill Kerry’s Senate seat and has already had a discussion with Vicki Kennedy, the widow of former Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.). “
” The spokesman declared that Clinton intends to ensure continuity and realizes that the appointment of a new Secretary of State will take multiple days after the inauguration.
It is assumed that one of the most likely candidates that Obama could propose as the new Secretary of State would be Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, who is currently the Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the losing Democratic Presidential Candidate in the 2004 presidential race. Other potential candidates include Bill Richardson, who served as the U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. during Bill Clinton’s mandate, and Samantha Power, currently serving as Special Assistant to President Obama and running the Office of Multilateral Affairs and Human Rights as Senior Director of Multilateral Affairs on the Staff of the National Security Council.”
- News Analysis: Will Clinton Resign And Who Might Come Next? (rferl.org)
- Hillary Clinton THREE times more popular as her nearest rival Joe Biden to be Democrat’s presidential candidate in 2016 (dailymail.co.uk)
- America Abroad in Obama’s Second Term: Who Will Lead U.S. Diplomacy? (theatlantic.com)
- Clinton says still intends to step down as U.S. secretary of state (worldbulletin.net)
- Clinton Asked to Testify on Benghazi by House Commmittee (bloomberg.com)
- Susan Rice Is Top Candidate to Succeed Clinton (bloomberg.com)
” But it was John Kerry who really left me feeling awkward when he attacked Governor Romney
for being, er, inconsistent in his positions: “Mr. Romney, here’s a little advice. Before you debate
Barack Obama on foreign policy, you better finish the debate with yourself.” “