” A powerful group of left-wing activists has leveraged big money, high-level White House access and tax-code loopholes to create a lobbying organization dressed up as an educational nonprofit with the benign name of a household laundry detergent.
The Tides Foundation is a favorite charity of such big-name liberal donors as Teresa Heinz Kerry (ketchup up heiress and wife of Secretary of State John Kerry) and Barbra Streisand. The two have given Tides more than $8.5 million over the years.
And Tides has a lesser-known benefactor: You. From the foundation’s 2009 to 2011 IRS 990 tax returns, the most recent years for which data is available, the government has given Tides some $28 million in grants paid for by American taxpayers.
That grant-making function helps explain Tides’ critical role, not just on the Left but in the White House. It has become a kind of banking operation of the Left.
Indeed, when asked why some of its donors require anonymity, Tides spokesperson Byrne said, “Transparency comes in many forms … The only area where we choose not to disclose information is that of our anonymous donors. In this effort we stand with many longstanding institutions in our field such as RPA, Schwab, Fidelity, etc.”
The analogy is telling: RPA is a marketing firm, of course. Schwab and Fidelity are investment and banking firms.
“The Tides conglomerate is an octopus with hundreds of incubating projects funded by untraceable wealthy foundations,” said Arnold, of Undue Influence. “Now it has promoted itself to a member of the federal government, particularly the White House.” “
- Hate the Koch Brothers? (pointsandfigures.com)
- Tides uses tax dollars to turn America to the Left (watchdog.org)
- The Koch Brothers, The Tides Foundation, and the Fundamental Dishonesty of the American Media (minx.cc)
- Kerry’s Wife Major Donor To Radical-Left Slush Fund. Controversial group finances Occupy, ACORN, MoveOn.Org (kleinonline.wnd.com)
- Taxpayers gave lefty clearinghouse Tides millions in grants (watchdog.org)
- Something Smells Like Low “Tides” (youviewed.com)
- John Kerry May Have Made $670,000 On Today’s Heinz Deal (businessinsider.com)