” Sen. John McCain (R-Sunday Shows) expressed bewilderment on CBS’ “Face the Nation” that GOP Sens. Cruz, Lee and Paul would filibuster gun control legislation. “I don’t understand it,” McCain said. “The purpose of the United States Senate is to debate and to vote and to let the people know where we stand.” With all due respect to Sen. McCain, that is almost completely backward.
“I don’t understand why United States senators want to block debate when the leaders said we could have amendments,” McCain noted.
If one believes a legislative proposal is, on its face, unconstitutional, the ability to offer amendments is of little solace. Sens. Cruz, Lee and Paul, among other Senators, believe legislation to limit gun rights is, by its nature, unconstitutional. Amending the legislation to make it slightly less unconstitutional is a fool’s game, and a large reason our federal government has grown so large.
A filibuster against gun control legislation is upholding the greatest tradition of the Senate, i.e. acting as a bulwark against the federal government’s natural inclination to expand its power.”
It’s time to step aside Mr McCain . Thank you for your service . Enjoy some well-deserved R&R .
PS: After adding the video we find ourselves much less sincere in our wishing the senator well . There is very little difference between John McCain and Charles Schumer . That is a very sobering thought .
- Sen. McCain: I ‘don’t understand’ GOP threat to filibuster gun bill (thehill.com)
- McCain: ‘I don’t understand’ GOP filibuster on guns (politico.com)
- Senator McCain Blasts Ted Cruz’s Threat To Filibuster Gun Bill: ‘Let Us Debate It’ (mediaite.com)
- MCCAIN: Rand Paul And Ted Cruz Are Threatening To Filibuster Gun Control Legislation Because They’re ‘Afraid’ (businessinsider.com)
- John McCain Lashes Out At Rand Paul Group’s Planned Filibuster Of Second Amendment Infringement Bill (patdollard.com)