” A Queens teenager’s obsession with high-powered model helicopters ended in gruesome death yesterday, when one of his beloved toy whirlybirds spun out of control in a Brooklyn park and scalped him, sources said.
Roman Pirozek, 19, — a chopper aficionado who bragged about his exploits on YouTube — was piloting the small machine at Calvert Vaux Park in Gravesend at around 3:40 p.m., when something went horribly wrong, cops said.
The toy aircraft turned toward the teen as he tried to pull off an unusual stunt. It hit him at high speed with the rotors spinning into his head and taking out “good chunk,” law enforcement sources said.”
Tag Archive: Queens
” State Sen. Malcolm Smith and city Councilman Dan Halloran were arrested this morning on charges they plotted to rig this year’s mayoral election through fraud and bribes.
The pols allegedly formed an alliance built on cash payments and fraud to get Smith — one of the state’s top Democrats — placed on the GOP mayoral ballot, sources said.
FBI agents arrested them both at their Queens homes shortly after 6 a.m.
“I have no idea,” Republican Halloran, in handcuffs, told a Post reporter when asked if he knew why he was being arrested.
“I’m sure the truth will come out once I have an opportunity to find out what’s going on.” “
Led by the Virginia-based “Operation Blessing International,” hundreds of volunteers rebuilt Bert and Jeanne Metz’s home.
The volunteers worked tirelessly to help the Queens couple get back on their feet.
As CBS 2′s Dana Tyler reported, the Metzes were led, eyes closed, to a giant blue tarp for the big reveal.
They burst into tears as their newly renovated home was revealed and much-needed cheers filled their Breezy Point neighborhood, Tyler reported.”
- Video: Sandy took away couple’s home, but volunteers resurrect it (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- Sandy Victims Surprised by ‘New’ Home (abcnews.go.com)
- Breezy Point Couple Overwhelmed As Volunteers Unveil New Home (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Overwhelmed in Newtown|Tax assessor responsible for truckloads of gifts (rep-am.com)
- Hackers for Charity (boingboing.net)
” Throughout this tragedy, the response of churches, community organizations, and neighbors was inspiring. Volunteers stationed near one closed FEMA office continued to hand out supplies. While thousands of families remained without temporary housing or heat two weeks after the disaster, in even the earliest days of the tragedy, residents north of 40th Street in Manhattan who still had power took in people who had lost theirs.
Church community halls and gyms teemed with donations that had been rushed in from across the country. These included more than 2,500 boxes of coats, winter clothes, diapers, and other supplies from Mormon congregations in D.C. and surrounding areas, which hundreds of volunteers sorted and loaded into five 26-foot trucks.
The immediate responses of neighbor-to-neighbor outreach in the first hours of the disaster were nothing short of heroic. In the devastated Belle Harbor community of New York City, one man created a lifeline from twine, rope, extension cords, and lamp cords that families clung to as they escaped from a raging fire through torrential flood waters in the streets. Another man moved through chest-high waters, shepherding two women—with a toddler on his shoulders—to safety.
Another Belle Harbor resident, who was out of the state when the hurricane hit, drove for 20 hours to the devastated community in his truck, which was loaded with generators, pumps, and supplies that he had maxed out his credit card to purchase “
- photos: Hurricane Sandy destruction in Belle Harbor & Neponsit in The Rockaways (brooklynvegan.com)
- After Sandy: Devastation and determination in Belle Harbor (cbsnews.com)
- Belle Harbor Man Who Saved Neighbors During Sandy To Launch Charitable Foundation (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Belle Harbor, NY: 11/2/12 (ireport.cnn.com)
- Mormons Uniquely Ready To Respond To Disasters Like Sandy (wnyc.org)
- Belle Harbor Residents Tell Harrowing Stories From Sandy On ’60 Minutes’ (newyork.cbslocal.com)
” It took days for FEMA to hit the ground in hard-hit parts of NYC. More than a week after the storm, FEMA representatives were just getting on the ground and opening
temporary offices in New Jersey. When a nor’easter blew in, several of their offices shut down because of— wait for it— severe weather.
An army of FEMA volunteers is now housed in the USTS Kennedy near Staten Island, a 540-foot training ship .
” Victims of an unforgiving one-two punch from superstorm Sandy and a nor’easter that both hit New York’s Staten Island say FEMA has forgotten them…
Punch-drunk residents’ ire is also aimed at the city — which is going door-to-door to order people out of their homes — at the American Red Cross, which some say has not done enough and at police and firefighters.One group of residents, calling themselves the “Brown Cross,” is patrolling the devastated streets,armed with walkie-talkies, and helping residents clear debris and pump water from their flooded homes.
“We’ve done more for our community than FEMA, the Red Cross and the National Guard combined … “
As usual , waiting for the authorities to rescue you is a sure-fire path to misery and even death .
” They fly into disaster areas, but flee from raindrops.
FEMA disaster recovery centers in Hurricane Sandy-ravaged sections of the city that were supposed to provide assistance to hurricane victims went MIA Wednesday morning, posting signs saying that they were closed due to the approaching Nor’easter.
The temporary shuttering of the facilities, which help victims register for disaster relief, as well as city food distribution centers come even as many of those still reeling from the monster storm were not told that they had to leave the battered areas.
On Tuesday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that residents in the low-lying portions of Staten Island, Queens and Brooklyn were advised to leave ahead of the nor’easter, which could hit the city with 60 mph gusts and several inches of rain Wednesday afternoon, but that the evacuation was not mandatory like the one issued for all of Zone A ahead of Sandy.“
- Nor’easter bears down on New York City, complicating Superstorm Sandy … (nydailynews.com)
- ON THE JOB: Staten Island FEMA Disaster Center Shuts Doors ‘Due to Weather.’ “FEMA packed up and l… (pjmedia.com)
- Striking Photos Of The Nor’easter Currently Pelting The East Coast (businessinsider.com)
- Hours after re-election of Big Government, Big Government FEMA high tails it out of devastated Staten Island and Brooklyn, say due to weather (not a joke), food distrib. centers closed Wed., one open for awhile but no one from FEMA on the premises, even F (impeachobamatoday.wordpress.com)