” Update 12:51 PST: Based on a news conference provide by Kern County and Taft police, here is the sequence of events this morning:
- The shooter is a 16 y.o. male who did not attend the start of class this morning.
- The shooter was seen walking on campus carrying a shotgun. The person who saw him called 911 which initiated a police response even before the shooting took place.
- The shooter entered a class he was a student in and shot one 16 y.o. boy.
- The teacher in the class is being called a hero for talking to the shooter while students fled the classroom through a back door.
- The shooter reportedly attempted to shoot a 2nd student who he named but the teacher apparently prevented it.
- As the teacher was talking to the shooter an unarmed campus supervisor approached and began talking to him as well.
- The shooter eventually put the gun down at which point police had reached the scene and arrested him.
- The teacher was injured in the head by buckshot but declined treatment at the scene.
- Taft Union High usually has an armed School Resource Office on campus but he was not there today because he was snowed in at home.
- Police have no information on where the shooter got the gun used in the incident.
- Finally, the media on scene claims that multiple parents have told them that a student at Taft Union was suspended last year for making a “hit list.” Some are claiming that individual is the shooter in today’s incident but police have not offered any confirmation of this.
” David Heber, the father of teacher Ryan Heber, said that his son is doing okay.
David said in an interview with 23ABC News, “(Ryan’s) a fantastic and good young man, and I appreciate him being true to himself.”
Heber was shot in the head by a stray fragment, multiple sources told 23ABC News.
Heber refused medical treatment.
Heber and a campus security officer distracted the shooter to let the other students leave the room. “
- Student Critically Hurt in Calif. School Shooting (wibw.com)
- Taft HS students honor teacher, campus supervisor who helped stop gunman (twitchy.com)
- Taft classroom shooting stuns students, parents (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Taft Union school shooting: Boy had ‘intended targets,’ police say (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Staffers Praised for Heroics in Latest School Shooting (newser.com)
- 16-Year-Old Student At California’s Taft Union High School Targets 2 Classmates In Shooting! Surrenders After Teacher Talks Him Down!! (bossip.com)
- Photos: Shooting at Taft Union High School in California (photos.denverpost.com)