” Homeowners in an exclusive waterfront enclave in Brooklyn thought Hurricane Sandy was as cruel a blow as they could suffer — until the taxman proved them wrong.
The city is claiming that property values have actually shot up for many homes in Manhattan Beach and it’s going ahead with hefty tax hikes for the houses devastated by the October superstorm, shocked property owners told The Post.
Homeowners in other neighborhoods hit by Sandy, including Coney Island, the Rockaways and parts of Staten Island, also said they’ve received increases.
“This is totally insensitive and heartless,” said Ira Zalcman, president of the Manhattan Beach Community Group, which has received more than 30 complaints from residents about the hikes.
“We just sustained one of the worst national disasters in our nation’s history, and now the city is delusional, claiming our property values went up.”
We’d have more pity for these homeowners if we didn’t know that that they are reaping the benefits of the over-arching government they regularly vote into office .
They are getting a taste of how the rest of the non-liberal NY residents feel everyday living in a state who’s politics are completely dominated by the left-wing voters of NYC.
- State Lawmakers Weigh Options For Hurricane Sandy Relief (gothamgazette.com)
- Tough Talk from Cuomo: ‘Maybe Mother Nature Doesn’t Want You Here’ (theatlanticcities.com)
- Blizzard piles snow on top of sorrow for New York’s Rockaways neighbourhood (guardian.co.uk)
- Mayor Iffy on Cuomo Sandy Buyout Proposal (wnyc.org)
- Video Of The Day: Rockaway Beach, 3 Months After Sandy (gadling.com)
- Parks Commissioner Says Sandy-Impacted Beaches On Track To Reopen In Summer (statenisland.ny1.com)
- Editorial: Post-Sandy home buyout is a wise plan (newsday.com)